[BREAKING] Bush takes responsibility

Special---K

Contributor
Veteran XX
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913/pl_nm/katrina_bush_responsibility_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush took responsibility on Tuesday for any failures in the federal response to Hurricane Katrina and acknowledged the storm exposed serious deficiencies at all levels of government four years after the September 11 attacks.

"To the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush told a White House news conference at which he openly questioned U.S. preparedness for another storm or a "severe attack."

Bush's rare admission of "serious problems in our response capability" came as the White House stepped up efforts to repair his public standing. Bush will address the nation at 9 p.m. EDT (0100 GMT) on Thursday from hard-hit Louisiana, his fourth visit to the disaster zone since Katrina struck.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush would use Thursday's address to "talk to the American people about the recovery and the way forward on the longer-term rebuilding."

The president's approval ratings have hit new lows, partly due to fierce criticism of the slow response to the August 29 hurricane, which killed hundreds and displaced 1 million people in the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.

Fifty-four percent of Americans disapprove of Bush's handling of the response, but 57 percent say state and local officials should bear responsibility for the problems, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC poll.

Asked if Americans should worry that the government remains unprepared to respond to another major disaster or a terrorist attack, Bush said: "Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government."

Bush himself raised questions about preparedness, after four years of record spending on domestic security since September 11, 2001.

"Are we capable of dealing with a severe attack or another severe storm? That's a very important question and it's in our national interest that we find out exactly what went on so we can better respond," he said at a news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

Michael Brown resigned as head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Monday.

Republican senators with close ties to Bush have urged him to appoint a top official to lead the long-term recovery. White House officials say that is among options being discussed.

Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former Secretary of State Colin Powell and retired Gen. Tommy Franks, former head of the U.S. Central Command have been mentioned for the job.

Giuliani said on CNBC that a commission like the one that investigated the September 11 attacks could assess the response. "Whether there were failures here on the state, city and federal level, I think a commission can decide that six months from now," he said. "No one person is responsible for this."

I'm shocked he actually said that

he's never taken responsibilty for ANYTHING his administration has done

a step in the right direction and I commend him for actually saying ti publically but actions speak louder than words

I'm glad Brown is no longer in FEMA but it was a mistake that never should have ahppened.

Bush is still a shitty Commander in Chief, but I think this is a big step

Special---K said:

a step in the right direction and I commend him for actually saying ti publically but actions speak louder than words

I'm glad Brown is no longer in FEMA but it was a mistake that never should have ahppened.

The reason he won't take responsibility for Iraq/WoT is because it would give the projection that America is weak and can be moved by rhetoric. It's called leadership.

JoMo said:
The reason he won't take responsibility for Iraq/WoT is because it would give the projection that America is weak and can be moved by rhetoric. It's called leadership.

It's called absurdity. You think people respect leaders that don't own up to their mistakes? Give me a break.

JoMo said:

that is complete horse shit

leadership is not blindly going on never admitting a failure

that is BAD leadership

if you've ever been responsible for leading a team of people, you'd understand that in teh real world, this is a horrible strategy

the guy in charge needs to take responsibility for what the people under him are doing

this is the right thing at the right tiem....unfortunately, it's too little too late

had he had this kind of attitude about thing things 4 years ago, the world would be very different right now and I might actually respect him as a president

Special---K said:
that is complete horse shit

leadership is not blindly going on never admitting a failure

that is BAD leadership

if you've ever been responsible for leading a team of people, you'd understand that in teh real world, this is a horrible strategy

the guy in charge needs to take responsibility for what the people under him are doing

this is the right thing at the right tiem....unfortunately, it's too little too late

had he had this kind of attitude about thing things 4 years ago, the world would be very different right now and I might actually respect him as a president

:signed:

BushOnPhone.jpg

Group of people working on project isn't equal to President of the USA, leader of the free world, etc.....

Admitting defeat (saying you are wrong) is a sign of weakness....... He doesn't want to appear weak to the terrorist agenda, which is why he takes responsibility for this, and not for other things......

I think he genuinely feels bad about this. I think this is a good sign. I don't like him but this was one of the smartest things I've ever seen him do.

Special---K said:

derailed in 3 posts. awesome.

I can not believe there are American citizens who think our president must be above admitting mistakes due to looking bad.

The bay of pigs was brilliant. BRILLIANT!

Back