Thinkin about getting TiVo.

dionysus

Veteran X
Apparently Best buy is doing a $150 dollar rebate. I might just pick up the 40gb one for $200. Hmmm any suggestions?

40gigs? How pedestrian. I built my own, and it has multiple 300gig hard drives and can play Battlefield 2

Can you use a TiVo/DVR on Cox cable?

I was told that you HAD to use the DVR provided by COX.

Any truth to this?

check and make sure your cable company doesn't offer one first. The ones that do are generally for 10$ a month which is much cheaper than the TiVos since you buy the system and then have to pay 12$ a month for the service. I'm not entirely sure how the cable ones work but they may not even tie up a cable line. Although to be fair the new TiVos can download over wireless but THAT hardware costs more and is not included.

I have two TiVos btw. I'm waiting for them to die so I can go with the cable ones.

Scud said:
Can you use a TiVo/DVR on Cox cable?

I was told that you HAD to use the DVR provided by COX.

Any truth to this?

Probably not. There is no way that the hardware isn't compatible.. the only thing it could possibly be is that Cox won't share their programming info. But I doubt that's even allowed for legal reasons

So no I don't think there's any truth to this

Yea I know, but I'm a student strapped for cash, and I just want something to record Family guy, and Rome on sundays. for the most part. I knew you could mod them, and I have a spare 120gig 7200 WDD HD lying around. Got any links and how to mod em.

Cox does offer a DVR with service for $15.00 a month.
I am interested in getting a DVR that has a DVD burner on it. Cox tells me I must use the equipment they supply and it doesn't have the DVD burner.

Dionysus said:
Yea I know, but I'm a student strapped for cash, and I just want something to record Family guy, and Rome on sundays. for the most part. I knew you could mod them, and I have a spare 120gig 7200 WDD HD lying around. Got any links and how to mod em.

Get a VCR, it's a lot cheaper

:( I'm poor

But if you're just looking for something to record two shows..... VCR....hmm?

(No, I do not sell VCR's)

only thing i can say is, its totally worth it. Its great to be able to record family guy and shit and just watch it at night.

i have the one offered by charter and its $9.99/month...cheaper than the $12/month. I'm not sure on the capacity but it does have a dual-tuner in it so I can use my cable box to run Picture in Picture even though my TV doesn't support it...

Cable box doesn't have features that Tivo has such as "record all shows like this show" and stuff but i wouldn't use those anyway...I just like the "record all new episodes of this show" option.

Tivo is worth the money. It's a slick, easy to use interface that works, and works very well. I don't like paying the $13/month, but it is worth it. 30 second skip for the win...

Anyone who says they've got the same thing from their cable company is lying... those POSs pale in comparison.

fuck tivo

I have a 4 year old computer - athlon 1.4, 512mb ram, some generic geforce3, and a tv-in card doing TV duties right now. I used to have tivo. I'm infinitely more happy with a home-built system than I was with tivo.

I use beyondtv and would have recommended it before, but they're pulling some bullshit with upgrade fees to get features back that they took away before, so I'm pissed at them. Eventually I want to go to windows media center edition + xbox360 + widescreen HDTV, but obviously that isn't even possible for a couple more months, and I won't be able to afford it for longer than that.

Keep in mind TiVo doesn't support HDTV. I have a Comcast HDTV DVR which works great (I wish the other features were more like TiVo though) and I use a Series 1 TiVo on my regular TV.

Dionysus said:
while you were all bitching i got a 40gb tivo for $50.
And now you'll pay far, far more than that for the service that is subpar to what you could have done with an HTPC

KellyMonaco said:
Tivo is worth the money. It's a slick, easy to use interface that works, and works very well. I don't like paying the $13/month, but it is worth it. 30 second skip for the win...

Anyone who says they've got the same thing from their cable company is lying... those POSs pale in comparison.
+ tivo to go (and direct show dump) and its great. yes i could go and build a htpc but thats way to much work and aggrevation to get it to work as easily as my tivo does

Dionysus said:
I would want a god damn computer tower thats huge sitting next to my tv anyway.
Uh, they make cases that are the size of a normal VCR or reciever nowadays.

Back