Any NYC people see the LARPers in Union Square tonight?

[OCA]Pain

Veteran XV
I had walked out of Barnes and Noble, crossed the street, and there before me was the aftermath of what seemed to be a LARP battleground. There were a bunch of guys with some of their gear on, some on the ground, discussing tactics and practicing moves. It was quite the nerdfest. No pics, ves :(

Makes you wonder why they were at Union Square, when there is a perfectly good range of mountains for them to go play in a couple of hours away.

I mean - its not really an appropriate LARP atmosphere, is it?

Was planing to go there to get some books but I was tired =/

Yeah but the cops seem to be easier going about Union Square than they are about Central Park.

Yeah it was weird. Plus there were a bunch of tour buses all over the place. Maybe they are rock stars of the LARP world.

I yelled "SOMETHINGAWFUL DOT OCM" in a furries face today. The look of terror was priceless. She knew

Phalanx.1 said:
what's LARP? and should i be concerned about it the next time i go to union sq?

LARP is the foam sword play fighting that Reggs does. It's an acronym which i forget the meaning of.

LARP stands for Live Action Roleplay.

Its where D&D players start to blur the line a bit too much between fantasy and reality, put on their finest homebew leather armor and foam swords, and run around throwing tennis balls at each other hollering "Lightning bolt, lightning bolt!"

I play D&D, but LARPers scare me.

Leiawen said:
Makes you wonder why they were at Union Square, when there is a perfectly good range of mountains for them to go play in a couple of hours away.

I mean - its not really an appropriate LARP atmosphere, is it?

Maybe they were pretending to be in the matrix and using nerf guns.

floorpunching said:

True.

I forget that LARP extends beyond the realm of swords and sorcery.
Speaking of the Matrix, I was at the Maryland Renaissance Festival this weekend and saw a guy dressed as Neo. Who the fuck goes to a Ren Faire dressed as Neo?

floorpunching said:

They definitly had swords. One guy was "play hitting" another as if to show him a move. The guy was nodding with enthusiasm.

My girlfriend's ex did LARP. When he first explained what it was she laughed in his face. Then she realized that he was being serious and he was hurt. I make fun of her for dating him when it comes up. :)

Is there anything yummy in that bazaar/market I should look for next time I'm around, I never bothered to try any of it.

Mud Sloth said:
My girlfriend's ex did LARP. When he first explained what it was she laughed in his face. Then she realized that he was being serious and he was hurt. I make fun of her for dating him when it comes up. :)

:lol:

I dont think the setting really matters too much. I mean, it takes a good bit of imagination / extreme nerdism to get beyond the fact that you're playing a glorified game of cops and robbers with nerf weapons, so these kids can probably play that shit anywhere and be happy.

Senty said:
Is there anything yummy in that bazaar/market I should look for next time I'm around, I never bothered to try any of it.

It's not setup every day, but when it is its just organic vegetables and fruits.

Back