[Excel] WTF Microsoft. You assholes.

nSpectre

Musashi's Suck-pig, Rayn's Apprentice
Veteran XX
Does anyone know of a way to force MS Excel to export to an ASCII comma/quote-delimited file in an Industry motherfucking Standard format?

Some goddamned fucking toilet-brained asswipe over there decided that instead of doing it the way everybody fucking else has been doing it for decades, they were only going to put quote-delimiters around fields that just happen to contain a comma.

Goddamn I want to punch BillG in the face and steal his jacket soooo bad.

Basically, I'm pulling data from a SQL table to an Industry fucking Standard comma/quote-delimited text file. It then gets passed to a user-minion who brings it into Excel, which Excel reads just fine. They perform some mild editing and save it back out, but Excel fucks it up (sorry Excel) whereupon it automatically gets FTP'd to a remote site that has some ancient Fortran-based mainframe or somesuch.

I'd have the user just edit the raw text file but I can't stand their whining.

Not really, but you try to get a L-user that loses windows behind other windows and opens apps multiple times because they "disappear" onto the taskbar to change their ways. :)

nSpectre said:
Does anyone know of a way to force MS Excel to export to an ASCII comma/quote-delimited file in an Industry motherfucking Standard format?

Some goddamned fucking toilet-brained asswipe over there decided that instead of doing it the way everybody fucking else has been doing it for decades, they were only going to put quote-delimiters around fields that just happen to contain a comma.

Goddamn I want to punch BillG in the face and steal his jacket soooo bad.
um...that is, more or less, the CSV industry standard.

Back