I get to buy a new t.v. tell me what to get

SuperTroop

Veteran X
1) I know that I need to go down and look at them
2) If I can keep it around $3-4k, I might be able to get two of them (1 for upstairs, 1 for downstairs)
3) They have to be flat screens because they are going over the fireplace.
4) What is better plasma/LCD?
5) Should I wait closer to X-mas for a better deal?

**Wife just gave me permission**

I might look into financing for 24 months at BB or CC. Any probs with that? Other than going over 24 months and getting buttraped with interest?

Thanks for the help.

Just a couple tips: make sure its widescreen, and it only needs to be HD-ready (doesn't need a tuner built in) because your cable/satellite company gives you a box.

SuperTroop said:
any models or places to get them? up for suggestions?
Yes: Do your homework on AVS Forum , not TW. Those peeps know video far better than most people here know video. (Not that there aren't a few in the know here, but you're far more likely to get the best advice there vs. here.)

Onecall.com has a pretty good rep. Avoid Best Buy (and most other big chains) like the plague, unless you do your homework first and they happen to carry the precise model you want to buy.

I like my 42 inch plasma
tv.jpg

I prefer LCDs to Plasma for heat and burn-in resistance, but each has their strengths and weaknesses. Plasma's tend to be far cheaper as the size goes over 42", due to yeild problems with the really big LCDs, and they are getting better (it is claimed) from a burn-in standpoint.

One important factor to consider is your source material: Do you have HD, or will you be getting soon? Is OTA HD programming widely available in your home area? Or are you stuck with crappy digital cable? How long do you expect to keep the sets before upgrading? Have you considered a projector for the truly BIG screen experience, depending on your space and planned usage? How much wallspace do you have, for that matter... in other words, what is the biggest size TV the planned spaces can support?

Quick Tips: The Sharp LCDs are considered among the best, which facinates me as I have long considered their stuff to be crap. Panasonic also makes some excellent screens.

Last edited:
I know the buyer for tv's for best buy or some shit..he said panasonics are killer and Costco sells them dirt cheap

Back