[wtf?] Magic Ice

evilbadz

Veteran X
Well this is kinda weird, i dunno wtf is going on with this stuff but I hope someone knows what the deal is.

We have a tray of ice at work, we use it for when we bring cokes or whatever. A girl filled it up this morning from our Kenwood water cooler, and put it in the freezer.

Lunch rolls around, i take it out of the freezer, and this is the weird part. Like 4-5 cubes of ice had spikes about 1.5" tall growing out of them. The tray was perfectly flat in the freezer, and there is nothing to drip off the roof of the freezer to form a sort of spike as it freezes and drips.

So basically i have icecubes with spikes coming out of the top, either straight up or angled, and i have no idea how the fuck this has happened.

How is this possible?

I have pics on my phone but they are 1.3mp pictures so i cant email them to myself, i'll have to xfer them from the phones memory card tonight to show you guys.

Edit: got one of the pics off my phoen (cost me $2 to mms it to my email :()

Last edited:
When the victim hung himself he was still wet.
So, obviously it was a NANOBOT.

Who spooged in the tray, mate?

Or at precisely the time the water solidified your freezer dropped 10,000 feet.

water expands as it freezes. So what happened is, the top layer froze, then was shattered by the rest of the cube freezing, causing a "sidewalk-buckling-in-summer" situation.

Excel said:
water expands as it freezes. So what happened is, the top layer froze, then was shattered by the rest of the cube freezing, causing a "sidewalk-buckling-in-summer" situation.
This is true. A simple google search for ICE SPIKES turned up:

The short explanation is this: as the ice freezes fast under supercooled conditions, the surface can get covered except for a small hole. Water expands when it freezes. As freezing continues, the expanding ice under the surface forces the remaining water up through the hole and it freezes around the edge forming a hollow spike. Eventually, the whole thing freezes and the spike is left.

Back