Gates Puzzled by Computer Science Apathy

"most programmers make $11 an hour."

I'm sorry, I'm not in the field but I don't know if I believe that. Maybe you live in a tough region?

I'm pretty sure average salary for a CS major is ~50k, AKA $20-$24/hr

My friend is a programmer and makes $14/hr.
I make about the same (I'm at net admin though, not programmer).

Computer degree's are NOT what they used to be. At least, not in California.

Project2501 said:
My friend is a programmer and makes $14/hr.
I make about the same (I'm at net admin though, not programmer).

Computer degree's are NOT what they used to be. At least, not in California.

I guess it depends what type of "computer degrees" youre talking about. Computer related engineering degrees are fetching some pretty nice salaries here in Texas.

edit: that being said, i think computer SCIENCE degrees are probably becoming less desirable

Last edited:
chunky munky said:
I guess it depends what type of "computer degrees" youre talking about. Computer related engineering degrees are fetching some pretty nice salaries here in Texas.
We're also very young as well, we're both only 23.

NoGodForMe said:
Well gee, when most programmers only make $11 an hour...

no, wtf are YOU smoking?

I make 18/hour and I'm only an INTERN with 2 years of college left.

Most programmers make 20-25 starting salary

I think the reason for CS apathy is that the major blows and computer engineering (cs + ee combined) teaches more useful shit that can help you get a job out of college

Durak said:
I think the reason for CS apathy is that the major blows and computer engineering (cs + ee combined) teaches more useful shit that can help you get a job out of college

bingo.
almost anyone can learn to program

Durak said:
no, wtf are YOU smoking?

I make 18/hour and I'm only an INTERN with 2 years of college left.

Most programmers make 20-25 starting salary
Depends where you live jackass. Not in Northern California they don't. Maybe after several years of experience...

Project2501 said:
Depends where you live jackass. Not in Northern California they don't. Maybe after several years of experience...

rofl no

starting salary for CE is 55k AVERAGE, meaning 40-60 is gonna be the normal range

that's between 20-30/hour meaning ON AVERAGE you will make 25/hour

your friend is being gypped by the company

or he doesn't have a CS or CE degree meaning he is worthless to most companies

Durak said:
rofl no

starting salary for CE is 55k AVERAGE, meaning 40-60 is gonna be the normal range

that's between 20-30/hour meaning ON AVERAGE you will make 25/hour

your friend is being gypped by the company

or he doesn't have a CS or CE degree meaning he is worthless to most companies
Whatever you say bud :bigthumb:

so i'm assuming your friend doesn't have a CS or CE degree, otherwise it would be considered slave labor to work an engineering college grad for 14/hour starting

Project2501 said:
Uh, almost anyone can learn anything as long as they apply themselves...

in my major, i learned several languages even though i never had instruction on them. i was just expected to know/learn them on the side.

Whereas as CS major might have a class devoted to that specific programming language.

sometimes it really sucked, like when you were just supposed to magically know how to program in some specific assembly language.

chunky munky said:
in my major, i learned several languages even though i never had instruction on them. i was just expected to know/learn them on the side.

Whereas as CS major might have a class devoted to that specific programming language.

sometimes it really sucked, like when you were just supposed to magically know how to program in some specific assembly language.
Right, but you learned it because you applied yourself...

Anyone could've done that had they had chose to have the same determination you did :lol: That's my only point.

not *that* easy when you have ZERO experience with assembly and need to learn it over the weekend.
but hey i passed it and im glad its over.

oh damn I feel sorry for you now :(

which class did you need it for? did it have a computer architecture pre-req that you didn't do?

Project2501 said:
Right, but you learned it because you applied yourself...

Anyone could've done that had they had chose to have the same determination you did :lol: That's my only point.

true. i agree. thats why i feel that classes dedicated completely to leaning to code are a waste. its something that can be learned on the side while classtime is saved for something else.

Back