:o gutting our main servers

Yoda

Contributor
Veteran XV
Alright, some of you might remember a few weeks ago we lost our AC, which caused a huge problem since there are 150+ computer in the lab that I work in. The temp in the room went over 100 and a couple of computers fried. Anyways. Two of the computers that died were the terrabyte servers, each with 6 250gb hard drives. Thats 12 .25 terrabyte drives or 3 terrabytes of space. I was told to gut the computers salvage the raid card and the ram and then throw away the hard drives or keep them. Well, obviously I kept them and I have 12 250gb western digital drives sitting infront of me. Assuming that a few of them still work, are there any hardware problems that I might have down the road from a hard drive that was overheated at one point?

Yoda said:
Alright, some of you might remember a few weeks ago we lost our AC, which caused a huge problem since there are 150+ computer in the lab that I work in. The temp in the room went over 100 and a couple of computers fried. Anyways. Two of the computers that died were the terrabyte servers, each with 6 250gb hard drives. Thats 12 .25 terrabyte drives or 3 terrabytes of space. I was told to gut the computers salvage the raid card and the ram and then throw away the hard drives or keep them. Well, obviously I kept them and I have 12 250gb western digital drives sitting infront of me. Assuming that a few of them still work, are there any hardware problems that I might have down the road from a hard drive that was overheated at one point?

if i am not mistaken, the processor will overheat first shutting down the whole system.. you might have some bad sectors that were being writen to while the overheating took place, but I think that you have yourself some nice hard drives there!!

Is there a way to map out those bad sectors and make sure the drive doesn't try to write to them? Or are they always going to be a problem?

Yoda said:
Is there a way to map out those bad sectors and make sure the drive doesn't try to write to them? Or are they always going to be a problem?

we use Norton Disk Doctor to find and mark the bad sectors, but I am sure any disk utility would be able to do the same :shrug:

Hmmm checking the disks one at a time = slow, oh well, the first two I checked were perfectly fine, I reformatted them into NTFS (used to be reiser3). Now the real question, what the fuck do I need 3 more terrabytes for? I already have a terrabyte of space that is only half filled at home.

Yoda said:
Hmmm checking the disks one at a time = slow, oh well, the first two I checked were perfectly fine, I reformatted them into NTFS (used to be reiser3). Now the real question, what the fuck do I need 3 more terrabytes for? I already have a terrabyte of space that is only half filled at home.

I'll give you my address and you can send them to me

DUH!!!!

Yoda said:
two words: e... bay.

Depends how many work and whatnot, I know a few guys that want them locally, but if they all work I dunno why I would ever need them all.

3 for 3 from one server work fine, the 2 I tried from the 2nd server came up with some error while the computer was booting up "bad disk back up and reboot". I tried formatting them but they wouldn't budge.

Yoda said:
3 for 3 from one server work fine, the 2 I tried from the 2nd server came up with some error while the computer was booting up "bad disk back up and reboot". I tried formatting them but they wouldn't budge.

critical sectors damaged... hmm..

try and use an IDE to USB on them and see if they can even be recognized at secondary disks.
and if you do'nt have an IDE to USB (2.0) yet, your SLACKIN lol....

Back