[Your thoughts on] New Zealand

GoD-Chry

Veteran XX
I'm thinking about searching for a job and moving over there for a while. I'm wondering for those of you that live there, or have been there, or know something about it to give me some feedback.

Things like...

How's the nightlife / clubbing? (for a 23 year old, and what cities)
How much money would I have to make a year to be confortable?
How hard is finding employment?
How are the beaches / skiing / weather, etc.
How are the women.

And throw anything else in there too I guess. Like how do they like Americans :eek:

Sounds like a fucking fantastic idea.

My buddy was over there for like 6 months just bummin around, he loved it.

Skiing would be good... i wouldn't hold your breath on the beaches though.

I can only speak for Auckland.

Clubbing is pretty good, although during the winter it's usually shit because it rains a lot and there's less of a turnout in town. There's "big name" overseas DJ's coming over every few weeks, and usually once every year or so per DJ. I wouldn't rate it as good as Sydney, but the Auckland clubs are all within walking/$5 taxi distance of each other.

The amount of money you need to make will depend on where you're living, and what you need to pay for commuting to/from work. You can easily afford to live in a highrise studio in the middle of Auckland city if you're earning $30k/yr plus (that's probably the comfortable minimum).

Finding work is pretty easy, but it depends on who you know, so you'll find it easier if you know someone who can hook you up with an interview. If you know what you're talking about, and have some experience, you can usually find a job within a week or two of searching. The basic "Helpdesk" job pays the least (most places starting at around $27.5k/yr), but it's really easy to get to $50k/yr within a short period of time if you know what you're doing.
A good website to start looking for jobs is http://seek.co.nz/

The beaches around the city are kind of shitty (if you're into surf beaches), but it's a 30-40 minute drive to beaches like Piha/Muriwai/KareKare/Bethels beach which have some of the best "public" surf in New Zealand. I wouldn't recommend learning to surf at those beaches though, as there's undertows/rips, and 4-6 foot swells on average.
Weather is kind of weird. It can be hailing in the summer, and 27C w/ no clouds in the sky during the middle of winter. Or you can have all 4 seasons in one day.
Skiing in the North Island isn't as good as the south (for obvious reasons), but the ski season is usually around 7-9 months long, and Ruapehu ski fields are just a 3-4 hour drive out of Auckland.

The women are questionable, many are fucked in the head/like playing mind games, and often have baggage, be it problems, or kids. Although it all depends on who/where you go to meet them, as I'm just generalizing. However I've probably been "spoiled" by australian chicks because I grew up in Sydney. The coolest chicks are probably the brazilian + european chicks that hang out in Downtown auckland, near all the backpacker places.

Kiwi's are usually indifferent regarding Americans, and if you're "cool" they'll like you regardless of what country/religion/ethnicity you are/from. However the loudmouth "tourist" americans that whine about everything really piss people off. But I'm sure that's the case all around the world.

Traffic is shit, so you've got a few options.
A) Find an apartment/job in the city, and walk/bus 5-15 minutes to work.
B) Find a cheap house in a suburb outside the central city/job in the city, and expect to spend about 1 hour commuting on what would normally be a 5-15 minute drive in no traffic.
C) Find a place/job outside "central" and you're usually fine in regards to traffic, as long as it's not rush hour.

The train service is the equivalent of 3rd world, but you can catch a bus to pretty much anywhere, at any time of the day. (which is the complete opposite of Sydney)

It's not like "bigger" cities where you worry about getting mugged if you turn down the wrong alley. You can walk past a group of 20 drunk islanders (stereotyping) outside their favorite hiphop club and they'll usually be like "Hey bro, hows your night going? Score any pussy tonight? Churr laters". Of course there's exceptions to this, but if you know a martial art I guarantee you'll be sweet (as there's no guns in public).

The government is full of morons (like this maori guy who got given a few million dollars for some reason and spent it on buying boxers/underpants made out of gold), but that's the same for most countries I guess.

The best thing about the city, is that you're practically a short drive from everything.

I'm 22, and have lived here since I was 12 (FYI if you're wondering).

Last edited:
There is also quite regular:

Motorsport/Drag races & Car shows (and drifting on TV twice a week)
Dance "Events" with several thousand people and big dj's
Surf competitions
Skate comps
LAN's
etc.

Kiwi's have this thing called "tall poppy syndrome" (or whatever) where they love the underdog + hate people who're successful and show it off. So if you're modest/humorous/not an egotistical asshole in real life you're guaranteed to "make friends" easily :p

There isn't really many "tourist" things to do. But Auckland is a fun place to live.

p.s: Rugby is GAY, but many kiwis are deluded about this.

Last edited:
This is Piha, it's usually overcrowded on the weekend (however "Mother Nature" manages to kill a stupid tourist every few weeks), but it's "awesome" during weekdays.

piha.jpg

random, that has to be the most help i've ever seen anyone given in the shortest amount of time on tw

Someone I fought with lived there and talks of moving there to live for a good many years. He went to the highest bungi jump place on the planet there. I think he said it was 120$. You go out on one of those pods hanging from cables that is attached on eather end to a Mt. A VHS recording of your fall is included with the fee.

What random said, plus you need to be aware you will earn a lot less in nz than what you would in the states. If you stay here for a long time (ie 5 years) you'll find yourself really disadvantaged if you decide to move back home.

Hmm, leaving the country now are we? Your secret is safe with TW Chry, what you do NOW? haha

p.s. ventrilo server is down!

There is a pretty large and growing dance nightclub scene, and pretty much any kind of music scene if you look hard enough, although I often hear form people who come here from overseas that our nightclub scene is pretty mellow. Im not sure if thats the case now with all the house music etc though. Wellington has a pretty massive dub scene and from what I have heard has all the cafe's and pubs etc that you could need. I arent really into clubbing etc and I live in Auckland. Just dont expect it to be like London or Ibiza and you wont be dissapointed.

Depends on your definition of " comfortable ". You could get a job on a skifield or picking fruit / working in a bar in the beautiful South Island and still have a good time or you could go executive and work in an overpriced city apartment.

Took me a while to find my last job and I am in Design. We have the lowest unemployment in a long fucking time at teh moment though so if your skilled you should be ok.

Beaches rule ( travel around the coast line not the " city beaches ", Skiing rules, weather ...... its " Temperate " ie not as nice as australia but not as shit as england.

How are the women.

They have vaginas like in most countires. Personally I was amazed at the quality of women in Australia compared to NZ. * shrug *. I have heard from tourists that NZ women are hard to get.

And throw anything else in there too I guess. Like how do they like Americans :eek:

I dont think much of americans but you may find some people that like you. J/K ..kinda. Seriously NZers are a friendly low key people.

Even though I live in Auckland and love it, if I was you I would try wellington or christchurch or do the travel around working from place to place studenty kind of thing ?. South Island etc. Auckland is just like any other city , but recently with an influx of asians. Walking down Queen St these days its 3 - 1 asians to anyone else.

Last edited:
rugby seems like a shitload of linebackers and not much else
heh
football works for me
and ps chry you dont need to go to NZ to rock out with your cock out, thats what socal is for nig

Coming from the states you probably won`t find the snowfields that good, the southern island defiently has better ones. Whilst the north gets more snow it either has bad weather for about 60% of the season forcing alot of closure (and sometimes upto a month in a go) or the volcano goes boom every now and then. Yet it still is skiing when the season is good :) They also have a new indoor snow field near auckland.

I agree with them being laid back but with a tall poppy syndrome. It`s cheaper to live but cheaper to make, beautiful place regardless :)

Stand in front of the All Blacks doing the Haka and pretend to not be afraid and you can be on the Lions team. Then have fun as you get pounded 21-3, sheer dominance.

In Auckland pretty good, usually something happening with some good local DJs and acts. Speaking only for Auckland, its more a breaks kinda scene, but has some good hardhouse going down (if you're into that shit which I'm not). Pills and shit will cost though. Everyone is pretty laid back with not much in the way of strife. No smoking in clubs and bars though.

Depends where you live, your comfort level and lots of other factors. Auckland can be expensive, but its a renters market at the moment.

Not that hard at the moment. From an employers perspective, some get nervous about hiring someone who's a fob, they kinda like people to stick around. I think twice about hiring someone fresh into the country.

Beaches are awesome. Skiing is great in the South Island and the weather is changeable. Best months to visit are January/February. Most visitors get surprised by how quickly the weather can change and the amount of rain in winter. Compared to Europe, winter here is a breeze. Canadians don't even notice it!

How are the women.
Compared to women overseas, stuck up self important bitches for the most part. NZ women think they're the shit. However, like all women, they love an accent. There are some good ones around though.

Being American you shouldn't have too many problems. Might not be wise to run around telling everyone you think GW is the man, but then most kiwis don't care much for politics. Be aware that a lot of kiwis do think that Americans are fat arrogant assholes - which you can blame your parents for. I see them wandering around all the time whenever a cruise ship docks. But by and large, we're a friendly bunch if you make the effort to get to know us. Except of course if you're Australian!

Umm...what else, we don't follow any North American sports, our selection of junk food is minute compared to what you guys get, we're more liberal than you guys are, traffic in Auckland is fucking horrendous and lots more.

Back