Video -> .JPG etc.

Feannag

Veteran XV
I did search and there was nothing there.

I am trying to get a vidcap of a movie file as a screenshot/graphic but I dunno how to do this. The only thing I have tried was the standard PRTSCN/Paste into Editor but the actual vidcap comes up black. I assume that is because video doesn't come up on the montior as the same way other media does.

So how can one do this?

There are programs that will do it. However you can simply disable hardware acceleration in your video player and use the Print Screen method. In WMP the setting is located under Tools -> Options -> Performance -> Video Acceleration (drag the bar to None)

There is absolutely no need to disable hardware acceleration or turn off overlays just to take screenshots as long as you have a fairly recent version of Windows Media Player. I believe version 9 or later.

Pause your video, or not, then press CTRL + I, a prompt will appear, and you can save the still as JPG. You never needed a third party application.

Other media players such as Media Player Classic, BS Player or VideoLAN will also do it, there's a button for it.

edit: If you want a bit more control over which frame you want to take a screenshot of, you can get Virtual Dub (http://www.virtualdub.org/).

Last edited:
Back