Why isn't there a web community dedicated to sharing and suggesting good music?

-Striker-

Veteran X
There are all sorts of different sites, boards or communities, but they are all splintered and usually focus on a particular genre or sub genre.

Seems like we're due for a 'web2.0' answer to hanging around the cool little record store.

someone make it happen

edit: I'm thinking of something roughly modeled after facebook or myspace, but is strictly dedicated to music. Every genre/sub genre can have a board, every use can list their likes, etc.

There is a lot of possibility for a complex data analysis on the music likes, for instance you can enter "music A" and then the database can pull up the top music that people who liked "music A" liked. You can go by popularity, popularity of music by people who have certain genres listed as their favorite, etc.

Last edited:
because everyone has different tastes and there are huge pure pressure influences to hate certain types of music least you be associated with its listeners. Furthermore, most people are unwilling to try new things. Musical tastes are probably embedded at a young age and stick with us forever. While some things may have more technical skill, it will always be mostly about a specific sound preference of an individual.

*see edit on first post

The gold mine would be a way to share short audio samples. You can usually do this by going to a bands website, but having even low quality 30 second clips available right on the site would be very useful.

New bands would totally embrace this if it got big.

Obviously each band would need a page. There would need to be a lightweight blogging type feature on peoples profile pages. Another kicker would be that you don't need to sign up or make a profile to use the site. Thats more for the real music fans who really get involved in such things. The front page can be 2 steps away from exposing you to new things.

blargh, lucius, yes it's somewhat true that you listen to what you were exposed to as a kid, but not completely. I was forced to listen to country as a kid and I finally saw past the horribleness of country... however I do agree about the technical part. There are a shitload of incredibly talented bands out there that no one listens to because theyre too complex/just don't sound good, but simple techno and rap are popular. do i care? no. it just has to sound good.

The point is that people are good about keeping tabs on perhaps their favorite or their friends favorite sub genre, but its hard to find out about all the good music in all the genres. There is a lot of blurryness in peoples tastes, and often if someone likes 10 of the same bands as someone else, they will also like 5 of the bands that other guy liked. You do this over a large group of people and you have very relevent data...

btw that audioscrabbler link is awesome, I have not seen it before. mp3.com is another link i have not seen, both do significant parts of what this kind of online community would demand, but not all.

Ive not read any of this thread, but I am fairly sure taht the answer to any variation of this thread would be:

RIAA

I'm on the unofficial mal list of a particular band I like, which has been around for years. That list has a lot of people who regularly recommend stuff they like, publish top 10's, provide news about other bands in the genre, and pass around video compilations and mixes. Nobody can do this type of stuff legally of course.

www.musicwar.com

Bah don't click that, its redirected. I didn't actually think there would be a site with that name. I guess every URL in the world with the word "music" in it is in use.

Oink dot Me dot Uk
indietorrents dot com

enjoy
Spoiler
Spoiler

there is

some board called I Love Music or whatever. i forget exactly.

a lot of people who write reviews for pitchfork and allmusic.com frequent there. They really know their stuff on that board.

Its funny how i posted this same thing in the form of a question, and got nothing.

Obviously people like to try and prove others wrong more than they like to help them:)

Back