Suggestions for a Montana Fishing Trip

Skibbi9

Contributor
Veteran XX
We'll I've talked to my G/F's cousin who is out in Mizzoula. Some buddies and I out East are trying to plan a trip this August. I'm guessing about a week, Most likely some Fishing, some hiking, etc. I'd be up for a 3-5 day trip around one of the stretches of the flathead, and then maybe hiking Glacier National for a day or two. Although a 1-3 day and some daytrips might be good as well.

Anyone have any suggestions, this would be beginner flyfishing/ Straight fishing as most of us only have experience with straight casting.
Any suggested areas, regions, hikes or other suggested activities. I plan to get a lot of pictures too

Her cousin had suggested maybe borrowing one of his parent in laws boats or get a catamaraft (I guess its a Raft with Catamaran middle so that you can hold more weight. He said he always like to do these trips in style with steaks and such. Although I would think that its gonna be tough for us to bring a lot of items on a plane so simpler is better, and wouldn't want to make it too expensive.

FYI, He's suggesting the Flathead which basically makes the Face of Montana on the idaho boarder, afaik Glacier National is on the Montana side of the river.

Prior Experience includes a 9 day Canoe (8 days flatwater, 1 day Whitewater) trip in the Adirondacks, and a 9 day trip in Northern Maine Canoes(the Alagash and St John Rivers)... Both these trips were more about traveling than fishing, So i'd like to do something lazy in comparison.

We wouldn't do hunting, but if there are also some suggested Trap ranges that could be an option as well.

Fishing Experiences of the group is mostly flat freshwater, and plenty of Ocean fishing (Shores, Boats, East Coast and West Coast)

The priority is to have a good time with a 4-6 person group of people, we'll spend some time on the water, fish, hike, take pictures, drink, eat, and F any antelope we see

Flathead is usually swamped with tourists this time of year.

Last edited:
do your fishing on the Idaho side, it's not nearly as crowded or polluted. If you've ever seen A River Runs through it, most of the river scenes are filmed in Idaho. If you're still under 21, I'd also recommend going into Alberta. Beer is top-notch and their strip clubs are usually a lot nicer than in the states.

It's too warm out now to enjoy the Hot Springs, but I'd definitely recommend them if you're there in the winter. Helena isn't much to check out, and i'd imagine most of the university kids are gone for summer break (they're all granolas anyways! j/k DV :) )

Plenty of good fishing and camping all around you, if that's your thing you'll enjoy every minute in MT.

Skibbi9 said:
We'll I've talked to my G/F's cousin who is out in Mizzoula. Some buddies and I out East are trying to plan a trip this August. I'm guessing about a week, Most likely some Fishing, some hiking, etc. I'd be up for a 3-5 day trip around one of the stretches of the flathead, and then maybe hiking Glacier National for a day or two. Although a 1-3 day and some daytrips might be good as well.

Anyone have any suggestions, this would be beginner flyfishing/ Straight fishing as most of us only have experience with straight casting.
Any suggested areas, regions, hikes or other suggested activities. I plan to get a lot of pictures too

Her cousin had suggested maybe borrowing one of his parent in laws boats or get a catamaraft (I guess its a Raft with Catamaran middle so that you can hold more weight. He said he always like to do these trips in style with steaks and such. Although I would think that its gonna be tough for us to bring a lot of items on a plane so simpler is better, and wouldn't want to make it too expensive.

FYI, He's suggesting the Flathead which basically makes the Face of Montana on the idaho boarder, afaik Glacier National is on the Montana side of the river.

Prior Experience includes a 9 day Canoe (8 days flatwater, 1 day Whitewater) trip in the Adirondacks, and a 9 day trip in Northern Maine Canoes(the Alagash and St John Rivers)... Both these trips were more about traveling than fishing, So i'd like to do something lazy in comparison.

We wouldn't do hunting, but if there are also some suggested Trap ranges that could be an option as well.

Fishing Experiences of the group is mostly flat freshwater, and plenty of Ocean fishing (Shores, Boats, East Coast and West Coast)

The priority is to have a good time with a 4-6 person group of people, we'll spend some time on the water, fish, hike, take pictures, drink, eat, and F any antelope we see

tr and I live in Missoula... Come here dude, we'll go out and have some beers or something.

As far as fishing in MT, there is no better place you can come then Missoula.

liquidh2o said:
do your fishing on the Idaho side, it's not nearly as crowded or polluted. If you've ever seen A River Runs through it, most of the river scenes are filmed in Idaho. If you're still under 21, I'd also recommend going into Alberta. Beer is top-notch and their strip clubs are usually a lot nicer than in the states.

It's too warm out now to enjoy the Hot Springs, but I'd definitely recommend them if you're there in the winter. Helena isn't much to check out, and i'd imagine most of the university kids are gone for summer break (they're all granolas anyways! j/k DV :) )

Plenty of good fishing and camping all around you, if that's your thing you'll enjoy every minute in MT.

The majority of the scenes filmed in "river runs through it" were filmed in Missoula, MT.

I can point out most of them to you if you would like.

DwarfVader said:
The majority of the scenes filmed in "river runs through it" were filmed in Missoula, MT.

I can point out most of them to you if you would like.

even the river scenes? I could've sworn the commentary mentioned the river scenes being done on the Idaho side because the MT side is filth compared to it (which I agree).

liquidh2o said:
even the river scenes? I could've sworn the commentary mentioned the river scenes being done on the Idaho side because the MT side is filth compared to it (which I agree).

Almost all the scenes were done just outside of Missoula.... And I don't know what you're talking about Polluted. There are places in MT where the rivers are polluted, but around here man.

I've gone through northern Idaho countless times on the way to Spokane, stopped quite a few times for some fishing. The rivers there aren't much different then here if at all.

As far as flyfishing goes, you won't find a better place anywhere in MT then Missoula to go. When I was bartending last year, I had people coming in the early mornings for coffee from Germany, to Austrailia who came for nothing but the fishing.

Not to mention if they want to hit up some of the northern idaho fishing, it's just a couple hours drive to get there.

I heard that the middle fork is always swamped, but off the logging roads you can get some good areas.

Anyways, I will talk to you guys when I get home from work. We'll all be 21 by August, my brother is the youngest, he's 21 on August 14th.

I'm feeling like some nice scenery, and just getting away for a while. I personally love camping

ok, I had it backwards, it's the Blackfoot that's polluted, and the filming was done in MT and ID. I am totally brain dead. Will be back in MT for the first time seven years though, can't wait.

Last edited:
Skibbi9 said:
I heard that the middle fork is always swamped, but off the logging roads you can get some good areas.

Anyways, I will talk to you guys when I get home from work. We'll all be 21 by August, my brother is the youngest, he's 21 on August 14th.

I'm feeling like some nice scenery, and just getting away for a while. I personally love camping

well like I said man, hit me up in IRC.

this has nothing to do with fishing, but I did a 5 day rafting trip down the salmon river... just below middle fork. Beutiful.
Fling :D

I might turn down going to grad school at Columbia and go to Montana State instead just because I love Bozeman so much :/

Tough choices.

Ptavv said:
I might turn down going to grad school at Columbia and go to Montana State instead just because I love Bozeman so much :/

Tough choices.

Bah Bozeman is crappy. Come to the UofM here in Missoula.

Fuck Missoula. Bozeman is 100x better.

Not to mention that UMs Chem program is shit while MSU's program is "okay," (as compared to Columbia, which I really can't believe I'd even consider turning down, and probably won't).

Ptavv said:
Fuck Missoula. Bozeman is 100x better.

Not to mention that UMs Chem program is shit while MSU's program is "okay," (as compared to Columbia, which I really can't believe I'd even consider turning down, and probably won't).

The head Chem prof at the UofM is a good friend of mine.

A direct quote from him. "There are two people who go to school and go into Chem, those looking to make drugs, and those looking to make bombs."

"I make both."

Well in either case, if you do go to Bozo, you'll have to come up here and visit once in a while.

The biggest problem with fishing in Aug. is that ITS TOO DAMN HOT. Fishies don't like to rise when it's 90 degrees and sunny. :/

I haven't done too much fishing west of the divide, so good luck over there. You'll probably be fishing with other tourists the entire trip, so my tip to you is find a local tackle shop, and ask where they're biting. :) Those local dudes know more then any tour guide will ever tell you. Just be friendly, and don't look too much like the east coast trash that you are! (j/k)

You'll have fun regardless, just don't light any fires!

Redwood said:
The biggest problem with fishing in Aug. is that ITS TOO DAMN HOT. Fishies don't like to rise when it's 90 degrees and sunny. :/

I haven't done too much fishing west of the divide, so good luck over there. You'll probably be fishing with other tourists the entire trip, so my tip to you is find a local tackle shop, and ask where they're biting. :) Those local dudes know more then any tour guide will ever tell you. Just be friendly, and don't look too much like the east coast trash that you are! (j/k)

You'll have fun regardless, just don't light any fires!

Basically, also if you drop me a line when you get here I'll hook you up with some people I know who do nothing but go out and fish all summer long around here.

The trick is going out early, fishing till about 10-11, and then go drinking, eat lunch relax until about 5 or 6 then fish again.

And he's right, fires is a BAAAD idea. Esp after the crap winter we had up here. Hate to see a TW'er nailed for starting another year of fucktastic fires.

Back