canon announces a DSLR.. with a fucking live preview?

what is a live preview?

(i did read the article..it doesn't explain shit other than to say its good for taking pictures of stars and not reg pictures)

JustinCase said:
what exactly is live focusing/preview? plz explain

well normally the slr design limits a live preview because there is a gigantic mirror in the way of the sensor, not so with point and shoot cams

so

canon announces this slr with a semi-transparent mirror or something that allows live lcd preview (like on a point and shoot) for very specific night shots

its just weird is all

(live preview refers to the pic on the huge lcd on the back of digicams. on an slr you look through the viewfinder)

not a big deal. Unlike the point and shoot digital cameras, with most DSLR's you can't look at the LCD screen to take the picture. You need to use the viewfinder (like with OLD cameras). This variation of the 20D allows you to use the LCD to see what you're going to shoot.

Yeah, it's just a specialized version of the 20D. I just bought one a month ago, with the 24-70L lens, and it's awesome. I hang out on the DPReview forums.

Most people here won't have a clue what this is. When people ask about a digital camera, they ask what they can get for $300. The 20D, with a memory card, and good lens will cost you over 2k.

Last edited:
oh wait so if you change the settings on the camera (for example to allow more/less light in or whatever...apeture setting) it will show up on the lcd what it actaully will look like? thats pretty cool

NoGodForMe said:
Yeah, it's just a specialized version of the 20D. I just bought one a month ago, with the 24-70L lens, and it's awesome. I hang out on the DPReview forums.

Most people here won't have a clue what this is. When people ask about a digital camera, they ask what they can get for $300. The 20D, with a memory card, and good lens will cost you over 2k.

what the fuck, give me some money. (only L is the 70-200)

Got Haggis? said:
oh wait so if you change the settings on the camera (for example to allow more/less light in or whatever...apeture setting) it will show up on the lcd what it actaully will look like? thats pretty cool

well the aperture only changes when you press the shutter, so no

its catered toward astrophotography. it has very little practical purpose for anything else.

theres a large base out there that are hardcore about it though.

Not that rich, it was a birthday present to myself, the big purchase of the year. At first I bought the 20D and 17-85mm kit lens, but after a few weeks, got what they call "L" disease. Sold the 17-85 and got the 24-70L. Don't buy a kit lens. If anything, go with the 17-40L to start off, and move up from there.
Yeah, the 70-200 would be my next lens. Don't really need it right now. I shoot the daughter on her horse, and I can get close enough with the 24-70L.

yea i got the 300D plus 100-400 lens for a graduation present. 1k camera, 1.5k lens.

I have used it extensivly, and since probably pruchased close to 400$ worth of equipment on my own. Thank god my family was so nice for graduation. Its paid off though. I've gotten a lifetimes worth of photographs, and really awesome ones to boot, in only a year. I had been saving up for years and was getting nowhere with that :p

I did give my mom my old 500$ prosumer camera though, so she came out fairly well in the whole deal.

Back