DVD archiving issue

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
I have run into several movies in which I cannot archive them.

When decyrpting the CD at around 28% it fails with a read error. This has happened on several movies I own.

First one was Day after Tomorrow and the second is Princess Bride.

They both have the exact same problem. Is it some wierd copy protection? Most other movies I own backup just fine. LOTR, Star Wars, X-Men, etc all work fine.

I have tried DVD X-Copy Platinum, Alcohol 120% and DVD shrink. Even tried two of my coworker's computers. All bomb out at the same spot. Any ideas?

DVD Decrypter works for me when DVDShrink fails.

However, I had one movie recently that would not finish no matter what I used. Turns out the DVD was just too damaged in that area to be read properly. I purchased another copy of the same movie, and was able to succesfully back it up with no trouble.

I originally thought it was a bad part on the DVD until I have run into a couple of movies that would fail at the exact same point when decrypting.

:shrug:

DVD Shrink and maybe the other programs too can't do the copy protection. It's documented that DVD Shrink can't copy many DVDs on it's own unless the information is ripped using a program like DVD Decrypter first. Use DVD Decrypter to make an iso then mount that with Daemon Tools. Works good for me every time.

They could all be using the same copy protection that the other programs can't decode so they just give up.

Gobd said:
Use DVD Decrypter to make an iso then mount that with Daemon Tools. Works good for me every time.
^^^^^^^

also, try posting on the forums at doom9 (http://forum.doom9.org/). if using DVD Decrypter doesn't work, post over there and they can tell you how to fix your problem.

anytime my dvd's fail, it is around the same % (25-35)...so now i always just rip with DVD Decrypter, then do my managing with DVD Shrink.

Since I switched to that method, every one of my DVD's backs up without issue

DocHolliday said:
I have run into several movies in which I cannot archive them.

When decyrpting the CD at around 28% it fails with a read error. This has happened on several movies I own.

First one was Day after Tomorrow and the second is Princess Bride.

They both have the exact same problem. Is it some wierd copy protection? Most other movies I own backup just fine. LOTR, Star Wars, X-Men, etc all work fine.

I have tried DVD X-Copy Platinum, Alcohol 120% and DVD shrink. Even tried two of my coworker's computers. All bomb out at the same spot. Any ideas?

cd damage. I just have netflix send me a new one and its here in 2 days.

iNVAR said:
try dvd decrypter anyway, can't hurt.

Did I not mention that?

We did try it, errors at the same location on the same DVD's.

hardluck said:
cd damage. I just have netflix send me a new one and its here in 2 days.

Tried that, several times. :)

DVD decrypter is what I use. Then Shrink it. The only movie that hasnt worked, is Gone in 60 Seconds. I currently have over 700gigs of movies...

Shazbot. I got the program mixed up. Ok I haven't tried DVD Decrypter yet.

Using it right now, it appears to have ripped the ISO past the part where I have the issues. Its at 45% right now. Hope this works. My copy is getting pretty scratched up so I borrowed a co-workers copy of Princess Bride and even his perfect looking copy was erroring at the same spot which lead me to believe it was a encryption method being used that was causing the problems.

UGH, same error type!

Grrrr...

Ok DVD Decrypter failed to.

TimmyZ said:

No, 4.7gig (or so).iso format.

Doc, newest version of Decrypter? I dont have that movie, so I cant try it. Have another driver to try it in?

Not sure if its the newest.

This is 3.5.4.

Hardluck. The same problem happens on multiple PC's with different DVD drives. I have a Sony DVD drive and a NEC burner. Friend has a NEC burner and another has a LG DVD drive and none of them can decrypt it.

TwiztiD said:
I have the princess bride ripped using dvd shrink....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

How come we have two seperate DVD's(store bought) that fail at the exact same point on multiple computers?

I might just give up and if my DVD dies I will just have to pony up the $10 to get another copy.

Back