So what are the best CRTs nowadays?

Ixiterra

Veteran XV
I took the plunge and went with the Dell 2005FPW which I am returning. Tons of dead pixels, backlight bleeding, and the screen is so wide that the viewing angle becomes a problem at the corners of the screen because I have it up close (bad vision).

I've had a Hitachi SSE751 for 7 years now, and it is a great monitor but it is seriously showing its age. I'm still unimpressed by LCD technology, so I want to go back to a CRT. I was looking at Samsung's 997DF, but I've read that it has several, irritating problems. I'm looking for top of the line 19", or possibly a 21" if it has a relatively small footprint.

Any recommendations?

for the money, the viewsonic p220f is good. my friend has one side by side with a mitsubishi professional-grade monitor, and they're damn near identical (besides price)

my viewsonic e790 despite being old still looke stylish enough, the picture tube appears to be working great, and for its age it has great resolution/refresh rates

but that wont help you any

Hmm I might still try the 997DF, it looks very small and the T/T version is pretty sleek looking. But I read some people had problems where it starts making high-pitched noises after a couple of months when viewing white pages. It doesn't seem like there are any dominating CRT monitors anymore though, they all seem to be focusing on LCDs. :( My Hitachi still has a better dot pitch than all of these, .14 vertical and .22 horizontal.

I recently picked up a Viewsonic G90f for about $250 shipped. While it is a very good monitor, I found that there is still a bit if blurring when reading small text.

Personally, if I could go back, I would put my money into a monitor that uses the Sony Trinitron tubes. I know Mitsubishi has a few monitors that use them.

My choice would be either

NEC/Mitsubishi FE2111SB BK 22" DiamondTron Super Bright

FE2111SB_TPC.jpg

or

LaCie electron22blue IV 22" CRT

electron22blueIV.jpg

I have a Viewsonic P95f+ (19"). I don't know whether it's the "best" monitor, but it seems to be in that range. It got good reviews about as consistently as anything else when I was researching a new CRT.

I like it. :shrug:

Back