SATA drive not recognized during windows install

Reptile

Banned
Thanks for any help, Sys. specs at the bottom

Right, so here's the deal, I bought a Seagate 160 Gb Sata drive, popped it in, windows 2000 w/ slipstreamed SP4 doesn't like it. I try the latest drivers via f6 for the VIA8237 controller, doesn't work. I flashed my BIOS to the latest version, still no go. So I switch the drive to the Promise controller, load drivers for that using the f6 thing during Win2k install, still nothing. I've played with installing it with BIOS defaults in effect, and optimal defaults in effect. And yes, I have enabled the controllers

The error I get every single fuckign time is it get to where it says 'Setup is loading Windows 2000' and then hangs for 5-6 min until the blue BOOT DEVICE NOT ACCESSIBLE 0x7D bsod appears. The drive works; it is detected in BIOS by both the VIA and Promise controllers, and I can transfer things in windows to/from drive when its connected as a storage drive to a nforce2 setup. I also tried changing ACPI and whatnot on windows install to no effect.

I had no idea Sata still had so many issues to resolve.

Specs
A64 3000+ 939
MSI K8T800PRO Neo2-FIR (VT8237 + Promise 579 storage chipsets)
1 Gb Corsair Value Ram
128mb 9800 pro
2 optical drives attached to IDE-2
Seagate 160 GB SATA drive
Antec True430

Last edited:
i don't have any firsthand experience with SATA drives, but i don't believe they have a slave, master, or CS setting.

oh, and try a non-slipstreamed version just to see what happens.

Windows does not recognize all SATA chipsets.

When you are installing Windows. When it asks you to load 3rd party drivers click f6 and install the chipset drivers for your SATA chip. This should be included on your Mobo installation CD.

What you need to do open the CD find the OEM driver for your SATA chipset and copy it to a floppy.

I had the same problem (I have the same board) I will find the name of the file you need to copy and post it...gimme a few

Grab the installation CD browse to here..

\IDE\Promise\S-ATA\PDC20579\Driver\

Copy the contents of the "Ultra" folder to a floppy. That will fix your issue. If you dont have the CD anymore let me know and I will upload the files you need.

Back