2001: A Space Oddesy

media_junkie

Veteran XV
Ok, I just watched this movie and all I can say is WTF.

Starts with pre-humans learning how to use tools then jumps to us in outerspace (that I could understand).

Then it goes to a computer that goes crazy and kills all but one member of the crew who inturn killed the computer and jumps in a pod and heads into space around Jupiter.

Then he goes through some funky warp and next thing you know he is an old man, looking at himself as an even older man eating food in some futurerific gay french man's house. The the older man sees himself as still the oldest man laying in bed dying, then the oldest man turns into a freaking space baby and reappears over earth looking at it.

WTF????

Either there is some deeper meaning that I am just not getting or this movie really sucked (I am thinking it just sucked).

P.S. --- It was made in 1968 and it didn't hold up very well at all over the years.

FireStorm! said:
P.S. --- It was made in 1968 and it didn't hold up very well at all over the years

...what?

I think it's held up remarkably.

Special effects still look great, besides the gay light show.

yup, supposedly he was aiming for people to not understand it

if you understood this film the first time through, then we have failed

or something like that

edit: oh yeah, you forgot the flying rectangle thingy

ceand said:
You summed it up rather well.

Read the book, it's good, and not too long.

I know they always say the book is better than the film (and from the ones I have read that is the case), however I just don't htink I could muster the desire to read this book.

The film holds up pretty well for it's age. The computer doesn't go crazy, it's operating under orders. The old man is him fast forwarding through the life that won't happen now that he's in the monolith. The space baby is his new form, I believe it's symbolic only, he's not an actual fetus hanging in space.

an excellent movie
you need to at least read 2010 as well to get the gist of whats going on though

I don't like it, it's slow as all hell and [strike]half[/strike] all of the movie is just an excuse to show off some interesting effects/camera work. The concepts are interesting, but I still found it dull compared to kubricks other gems. Probably my least favourite kubrick movie.

I have only enjoyed one Kubrick film ever and this wasn't one of them. I really don't see why he was so popular. :shrug:

SaintDude said:
I have only enjoyed one Kubrick film ever and this wasn't one of them. I really don't see why he was so popular. :shrug:

It came out in the late 60's.

There were alot of very high people then.

It has swirling colors.

You do the fucking math.

Back