Does a power strip with over current and voltage protection...

Amadeus

Whiner
Veteran XX
...protect against lightning? I.e, is it safe to leave the comp/TV plugged in or running during a storm if they're plugged in such power strips?

Ixiterra said:
Um, if you're that worried about lightning, they make these things called.... lightning rods... you know.
No shit. We had a lightning kill our phone once though.

Read the warranty on the surge protector. If it's any good, you'll see something that mentions "Insurance up to $XXXXX, usually something like $50,000.

a lightning rod ain't gonna do jack to stop a strike on your power lines. on your HOUSE, maybe, but the lines nearby?? not likely. Maybe if you put one on every power pole in the neighborhood, you'll have an effect.

jiggawho.gif

The chance of the lighting bolt having it's full force act on the surge protector is pretty low. I would consider it safe to run a PC/TV during a lightning storm if it is on a good quality surge protector.

I've dealt with lightning twice before:

Once it struck a house 5 houses away from me and it blew the modem on my computer.

And another time it hit my house right where my bedroom is and blew out a socket and the PSU on my computer.

All other components were fine in both cases. (except for my ceiling which suffered damage and my ceiling fan which doesn't work anymore)

Back