Doing a persuasive speech...

TedBundy

Veteran X
...I chose the topic that Video Games are not to blame for violent kids. As I am reading stuff about it now...I am finding that there's maybe not so much evidence to support my case. And I'm not sure I don't agree with my original topic 100% :( Anybody know if any studies were done to support this?

Talk about all of the people you know that have played violent video games their entire lives and have never committed a violent crime. I have been playing games since I was like 3 and I am like fucking Buddha.

JodoFett said:
Talk about all of the people you know that have played violent video games their entire lives and have never committed a violent crime.
yea but for my speech it requires 2 scholarly sources. and scholars are fucktards cuz they aren't helping my case. I might just flip the fucking thing around and say they do cause violence.

admit it, there's too many retarded kids out there that can't control video games, but i think more on target my topic is to not censor shit because of a few bad eggs. ah fuck i don't know what i'm doing.

have you tried to find some statistics about number of violent crimes committed by children before video games and after?

taking into consideration the rate of increase in crime in general over the same period of time.

The problem isn't that games make kids violent, it's that parents ignore their kids and let the video games babysit them.

JodoFett said:
The problem isn't that games make kids violent, it's that parents ignore their kids and let the video games babysit them.

This is the crux of the arguement, but it is hard to prove in a debate. However, in a persuasive speech it would be difficult to make this arguement when it is coming from a kid. Plus, parents hate to hear how they are screwing up as parents.

In fact parents will blame ANYTHING rather than take responsibility for their children *cough* RED PENS *cough*.

It's pretty easy to find evidence. Simply compare the number of violent video games sold to the number of crimes depicted in video games committed a year. I'm betting that there are probably 10,000 copies sold for every 1 crime committed.

Wraithed said:
This is the crux of the arguement, but it is hard to prove in a debate. However, in a persuasive speech it would be difficult to make this arguement when it is coming from a kid. Plus, parents hate to hear how they are screwing up as parents.

In fact parents will blame ANYTHING rather than take responsibility for their children *cough* RED PENS *cough*.
bad parents blame everyone, people who fuck up, in general, blame everyone else
a good parent wouldn't let a young child spend inordinate amounts of time on a video game that had little or no educational value.

Genus Turpe (argument from humility) is also the rhetoric of choice since it is impossible to prove a negative. Your natural position is the defensive (which can of course lead to trouble too), but point this out: Your opponents have NOT proved that there is a relation, it is all speculation. There is no evidence for a relation between computer games and crime. There are criminals who have played computer games, just like there are criminals who have played hockey or read classic litterature.

Also make use of hyperbole: If someone thinks games should be outlawed "to be on the safe side", carry this argument further, perhaps using the Bible as an example.

I like your choice of topic, Ted, but you need to narrow in on your specific thesis. Ok, video games don't make kids violent. That's too broad. You could say something like: "The level of gore displayed in the violence present in the games commonly played by children of my generation does not have an absolute adverse effect upon our social capabilities. There are some bad apples, but there are in every generation."

If your scholars are being dicks about it, either find new sources or use those as examples of the stereotypes the media (or whomever) portrays and how they are incorrect.

piotrr said:
Genus Turpe (argument from humility) is also the rhetoric of choice since it is impossible to prove a negative. Your natural position is the defensive (which can of course lead to trouble too), but point this out: Your opponents have NOT proved that there is a relation, it is all speculation. There is no evidence for a relation between computer games and crime. There are criminals who have played computer games, just like there are criminals who have played hockey or read classic litterature.

Also make use of hyperbole: If someone thinks games should be outlawed "to be on the safe side", carry this argument further, perhaps using the Bible as an example.
I never learned Genus Turpe in my public speaking course :eek: ( ;) )

Careful of using the slippery slope with the hyperbole though. Slippery slopes are logical fallacies.

ScottTheWise13 said:
well crime is much lower than when video games first came around, im pretty sure. talk about that?
thaty is more a factor of aging babyboomers (most crime is commited by men between the ages of 15 and 35)

Dude when doing any speech or paper, just side with the strongest argument in terms of information.

aka change your argument and side with the parents.

Back