//High CPU usage problem//

sarro

Veteran XV
I was deleting some old floppies the other day with account info I had from the old days when I put about 5th disk in the system locked up. Said 'Windows not responding".

Ever since then the PC has been running at around 50% usage with no programs running. Also, it will not reboot unless I choose 'Use last known good settings'. If I try to boot normally it starts out ok with the XP title sceen then goes black and thats it..

The first pic is in Safe mode, running about 3-4% CPU, the second is where Im having a problem.. about 50% usage..

My question is: Is there a process running in there that could be eating up CPU? Ive tried ending the process of the ones that arent on the Safe mode list.. nothing is working..

Could something be running that I cant see? And if so, where do I find it?

A video for your sandpaperless advice: Crop Cop Fight Highlight movie (fighter)

Last edited:
The only "CPU usage" problem you have is that the task manager takes up 99% everytime you open it. So... your looking at the 99% because you have it open.

Not that I'll be able to solve the problem or anything, but just for fun -- start Perfmon and add counters (right click on strip chart) for Performance Object = Processor, counters = Priveledged, Processor, and User.

On an idle system, you should see them all low (0-10, generally < 5). I'm thinking that something in your system is causing it to use up CPU in the kernel, which won't show up charged to a process in Task Scheduler, if I recall correctly. Maybe Perfmon will let you see the CPU usage... and you can use it to try to figure out which process is using the cycles, too.

Back