AMD enters foray into GPU?

Rev_Night

Welches
Veteran XV
I read this and i'm not sure if it is APrils Fools joke or not, but if they do, i can't wait.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMDgy

“I’ve just taken a look at a leaked engineering spec for the Fir and at first glance it looks almost too good to be true, for a first graphics processor from AMD. Supporting a 256-bit memory bus and being fully compatible with WGF1.0 with its four quad fragment, and six vertex unit, setup means the chip won’t be small, even using AMD’s 90nm SOI process at their fabs in Dresden.

It’s going to have roughly the transistor count of a pair of current 130nm Athlon FX processors. It also looks like it can share vertex load with a dual core processor, too, letting you use one of the cores entirely for geometry processing, to go with the vertex units on the Fir core. It looks like impressive stuff, with it hinting at future virtualisation of the render core in a possible Apollo Fir 2006 refresh, to go with the WGF2.0 spec.

And 2GB of framebuffer will definitely come in handy for the upcoming version of Playboy: The Mansion that uses masses of uncompressed normal maps for even better breasticle fidelity.

It might be an April Fools joke, but you never know....

"The new chip, codenamed [bold]Apollo Fir[/bold], has SIXTEEN, yes that’s right, SIXTEEN pixel pipelines. Throw in just about every damn shading technique and hardware feature you can think of and it would seem that on paper, AMD has just won the entire GPU market with its first chip. "
Apollo Fir.... April First?..... hrmmmm probably

that Fir comment, the whole breast thing, and the fact that on the other Apr 1 article on the homepage is an APril Fool's joke, i am thinking that i just got had.

And 2GB of framebuffer will definitely come in handy for the upcoming version of Playboy: The Mansion that uses masses of uncompressed normal maps for even better breasticle fidelity.”
awe come on that doesn't even seem remotely like a real review

I'd believe it if they said Nvidia will make a MB.
You see, they make the chipset, the GPU, so all they need to do now is make the MB which kicks butt and OCs to the extreme.

Back