Video Designers & Professionals:

fake

Veteran X
Video Editing Professionals & Wannabes:

What kind of hardware would you want for a good film editing workstation?

Last edited:
Dual G5 on the best for the cheapest end.

or you can get a $50,000 Avid Adren/Nitris system.

its definetly overkill if you ask me

there is no way he is considering getting an AVID

best bang-for-buck is a Dual G5 w/1.5+gb ram

but it all depends what you plan to edit...minidv? sd? hd?

For the love of god AVID express... and that 50k system you talked about is OVERKILL, you make feature files with that one. you can get realtime color correction and everything for what 1K?

Taurus said:
For the love of god AVID express... and that 50k system you talked about is OVERKILL, you make feature files with that one. you can get realtime color correction and everything for what 1K?
sry man, but avid express is only good if A) you only want to edit dv and B) you are stuck on using a PC

mac w/ final cut > pc w/ avid express by a long shot

From what I've read isn't Avid express technically just a cutting station. Don't you need to bring your timeline to a real Avid workstation for final output?

naw, you can do pretty much everything in AVID Express -- DV Express is DV-only, but the "full" Express can edit and output a lot of formats.

basically Express is AVID's bastard son that was put out to try to compete with Final Cut - and presently it isn't doing so hot at all. Final Cut is just such a good mid-end suite, and Express is just trying to catch up to it. I have limited experience with Express, but I do know that not a single place i have worked, nor person i know in the industry uses it. all mid-end stuff is FCP exclusively.

I edit on a PC with Premiere Pro so if you're conscious of your bottom line just get a nice PC.

Oh yeah, I hate Avid but like FCP. I just can't afford a Mac.

I have FCP, Avid, and Premiere Pro, to be honest I like the way Premiere Pro works a lot, its basically a mirror image of FCP and the rewind/control features are better if you ask me.

however FCP has some great filter control and apps to work along side it.

i said it

so, mac is the consensus, but pc if i want to save money by buying programs on discount.

you want to contact magus or freebird from oldschool IF, USR, etc.

They know everything about this. Ever.

Back