This thread is dedicated to anything RAYN wants to talk about ...

Maybe my terminology is off. Worthless threads, then? Spammed threads?

You tell me -- what is it you hate? I want to ease your frustration, however I am able to do so, if you know what I mean. :brows:

RaynKnife.jpg

i like looking at old uva pics because you can always see the top of the line prizes they were giving out.

I went to UVALAN 5?

Did you know that until the late 1980's, if you heard a thunderclap in a movie, it was probably 'Castle Thunder', originally recorded for Frankenstein in 1931? That's right, the same tired sample was used again and again by Hollywood throughout media for nearly an entire century. Think of all the times you heard thunder on TV or in the movies, from "Citizen Kane" to "Back to the Future"

Do you think your 'idea' of thunder was, at least in some small part, formulated by its fictional portrayal in the media? Does this mean that this media has the power to shape and alter our perception about reality? How many of our other perceptions have been refracted by fiction? You've undoubtedly mentally formed a nearly infinite number of archetypical examples of various events, people and places - are you living in a dream world?

Rayn said:
I went to UVALAN 5?

Did you know that until the late 1980's, if you heard a thunderclap in a movie, it was probably 'Castle Thunder', originally recorded for Frankenstein in 1931? That's right, the same tired sample was used again and again by Hollywood throughout media for nearly an entire century. Think of all the times you heard thunder on TV or in the movies, from "Citizen Kane" to "Back to the Future"

Do you think your 'idea' of thunder was, at least in some small part, formulated by its fictional portrayal in the media? Does this mean that this media has the power to shape and alter our perception about reality? How many of our other perceptions have been refracted by fiction? You've undoubtedly mentally formed a nearly infinite number of archetypical examples of various events, people and places - are you living in a dream world?

HUH.jpg

Rayn said:
I went to UVALAN 5?

And the sound the doors on the enterprise make when they open.
Of course I am referring to the 1968 version.
That has become the ubiqutious "futuristic" door noise.

Bounty...bet the "ping" sound used in every naval theme movie is generic, now hop to it and identify the vessel that made that sound!

If you guys only knew how many generic sounds are used OVER and OVER and OVER.

ESPECIALLY samples from the painful screams category. Glass breaking, doors closing, footsteps, cars starting, liquid being poured, etc. It's even worse when you know it, because you recognize them from there on.

Rayn said:
I went to UVALAN 5?

Yes I did know that, and it always bothered me. Damnit the only noise lightning makes is the sound you think of when you think "thunder". It's a loud deep boom or if it's close enough a quick crack and then the loud boom. Hell sometimes it's even just a little "pop", like when you would inflate a plastic lunch bag and smash it.

I was at the driving range one time during a bad storm, under the roof of the attendant stand. Lightning hit right above our heads and shorted out the tv monitors, all we heard was a loud pop and my ears were ringing for a little bit.

------------------

Now you want to talk about the Wilhelm scream?

Back