People good at auto body work or repairs...

AgnoStick

Contributor
Veteran XX
Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about cars. Somebody must have clipped my car at work while it was parked. Hit and run, I have nobody to make a claim off of. I went to some places to get a professional quote and it was very pricey, upwards of at least $800 (new bumber, new splash guard, etc, etc). Is there any way to mend/patch fiberglass, or is there something I could do to make look at least better than it does right now.

Pics of the damage:

gmc01.jpg

gmc03.jpg

gmc04.jpg

Is there anything I can do on my own to make it look better and/or how much would you think getting that repaired at a body shop should cost?

Duct Tape

Superglue

Sandpaper

Naw, I don't think you can fix it. The $800 price is mostly for labor. You can get the parts cheap on E-bay, it's putting them on the car where they're charging you a bunch.

$800-1k is nothing for body work. There's nothing you can do for less than that- that doesn't look like ass. You could try some fiberglass Bondo (can't remember what it's really called, but it's basically a filler for fiberglass). But you would still need to paint the area, which would probably not match and still cost you a few hundred.

Ascoe said:
what does that button in the first pic do

I have no idea, thats inside the splash guard, normally you would never see that casue the splash guard isn't destroyed, and I didn't see it except for because the flash was on.

WrathChild said:
$800-1k is nothing for body work. There's nothing you can do for less than that- that doesn't look like ass. You could try some fiberglass Bondo (can't remember what it's really called, but it's basically a filler for fiberglass). But you would still need to paint the area, which would probably not match and still cost you a few hundred.

If I file under an insurance claim under a hit and run, do I get surcharged, like I will obviouosly have to pay the premium, but will it affect my step/insurance cost?

Go push it, maybe it changes your car into a hydrofoil.

(It looks like a plastic stud that the bumper/wheel well moulding fastens to)

AgnoStick said:
If I file under an insurance claim under a hit and run, do I get surcharged, like I will obviouosly have to pay the premium, but will it affect my step/insurance cost?

Probably. Plus your deductible will be taken off, so unless you have some unreal good insurance policy, you should just take this one out of pocket.

Sucks I know.. in the last 3 years my car has been hit twice while parked, both minor. One cracked a turn signal lens ($300 parts alone you bastards) and one just scuffed the quarter panel (nearly all buffed out).

Not worth it to make a claim :(

Make sure you get a police report just in case you change your mind, plus you can call your insurance agent and ask what will happen.

They will tell you if it will cause your premium to increase, plus what your deductible will be.

Yeah, bumpers suck like this - unless its metal, you cant do shit except replace the entire thing.

If the crack would not of gone over the body line then it would be easy to fix. but the fact it cracks over the bodyline really doesnt make it worth the effort unless you know what you are doing. Some fiberglass and bondo would have fixed it right up.

Back