[So] [Tech] I just put in some RAM

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
I had two 256 sticks of ram, and then added a stick of 512. The problem is, while I was doing this, I accidentally popped out that button sized battery on the motherboard (dont ask). When I turned on the computer, after putting the battery back in, windows said that my registry had been lost but was recovered.

Now, when I try to boot the computer, it will freeze in the first minute. I've gotten as far as getting to the forums, but then it froze. Sometimes it freezes, and other times it just restarts itself.

what the fuck did I do and what can I do now? I'm currently settting about re-installing the BIOS, since it was all fucked up, but I really have no clue what happened. :( halp!

take the new memory out. It's probably bad.

Edit: popping the battery out for a few seconds won't do anything bad.

Popping it out for a few minutes would only change all your BIOS settings back to default.

It's probably the RAM.

yeah I know I popped out the BIOS battery, but what do I do to fix it?

and the RAM is not bad. I'm pretty damn sure that its fine. If this thread can find nothing else than "bad RAM", then I might invest RMA'ing it, but at this point I think this is solved some other way.

flash the bios for general purposes and update it, that should fix it i would think, unless you did something freaky and somehow zapped the ram.

Is the ram the same kind? speed? manufacturer? Intels usually dont care, but amd's tend to be a little picky about their ram, usually has to be same man. atleast.

Beef Welington said:

and the RAM is not bad. I'm pretty damn sure that its fine. If this thread can find nothing else than "bad RAM", then I might invest RMA'ing it, but at this point I think this is solved some other way.
:lol:

I'd like to know how you absolutely know it's not bad RAM.

Ixiterra said:
I bet $250 you have a P4.
pay up bitch, I have an Athlon 64 3000+ :roller: please pay in cash kthx.

And the two 256 sticks were both Corsair XMS, and the 512 was also Corsair XMS. All are DDR400 PC3200.

I'm trying to make a boot floppy without much success, since I'm working on the POS that my parents have.

Beef Welington said:

dude. easy way to check - JUST PULL THE RAM OUT AND SEE IF THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

sounds like bad ram with the freezing.

like its been said already. Put the orignial two in and see if it freezes. Then stick just the new ram in. If it freezes then you got bad ram.

BUT GUYS! THERE'S NO WAY IT COULD BE THE RAM! GUYS! I JUST BOUGHT IT! IT CAN'T BE BAD!!! YOU GUYS!!!!

If you fucked up your BIOS settings in some way, it shouldn't be able to boot and load windows most likely. Maybe it's the RAM. How do you have the sticks set up? Maybe because of DDR, you need the 256mb in a certain order on the mobo?

Beef Welington said:
pay up bitch, I have an Athlon 64 3000+ :roller: please pay in cash kthx.

And the two 256 sticks were both Corsair XMS, and the 512 was also Corsair XMS. All are DDR400 PC3200.

I'm trying to make a boot floppy without much success, since I'm working on the POS that my parents have.
Oh, I forgot one corollary: "I bet you have a P4 or are a moron." :D

System specs would be fantabulous. And if you've done any troubleshooting, that'd be spiffericious.

pull the new RAM out and see if the problem goes away you fucking idiot

This isn't fucking rocket science.

Back