Mobo installation Woes

Rosco-SS

Veteran XX
Ok.

I just bought a new motherboard, video card and graphics card today and got it all together a few hours ago.

What I got:

- ASUS A7N8X-X
- Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128
- Kingston KVR400 512mb PC3200

Ok, so I get the new mobo, ram and card into the case. Fire it up, go into the BIOS. Set some basic options (HD options) and leave the performance settings, for later when Im stable. Start up windows.

It gets to the loading screen, and about 2 seconds after is starts loading. It resets tne computer. It does this in a loop. Contstantly. Non-stop.

So, I figure maybe re-installing the OS (Win XP Pro) would help. And thus, I got into windows fine. I started loading some MOBO and g-card drivers up, restart it and bam. Exact same problem as before.

Im at an end here, Im not an expert by any means with computer setups.

Help :(

try installing the drivers 1 by 1... see which one starts the looping.
once that driver is found.. reformat.. dont install it.. download a thirdparty driver for the device (if available)

thats one way to do it.. sounds like it could be an IRQ issue.. definetly sounds software related.

reformat. don't ever swap out crucial components like that and expect windows to boot up properly.

and the other 1% requires a bit of fore thought. Windows NT/2k/XP are bad for errors when you change the chipsets. Usually stemming from the IDE controllers being changed.

To fix this...or prevent it in the first place. BEFORE you change out parts. Go into the device manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Highlight your controller...VIA, SiS etc. goto properties, driver, update driver, "Display a list of....blah blah" pick the "Standard Dual Channel ...blah"

Now reboot.

After it boots. Shutdown the computer. Swap out your parts and when you boot it up you should get the "Found new hardware" thing pops up install new drivers and you are all set.

I know this is a bit late for your comp..but a warning for others.

Back