Tony Blair on CSPAN (Prime Minister's Questions)

link_

Veteran X
I'm not quite sure how my tv ended up on CSPAN but Tony Blair is an amazing debator. You should check it out.

Anyone from England want to give me their impressions of him?

Senty said:
Yup, can be really entertaining.

Obviously everyone on TW was so interested in my post that they turned to CSPAN and now they are so enthralled that they are waiting for a commercial break to respond.

link_ said:
I'm not quite sure how my tv ended up on CSPAN but Tony Blair is an amazing debator. You should check it out.

Anyone from England want to give me their impressions of him?

Boooooooooo.

Ghost post.

I agree, I watch him do his thing each week at the house of commons.

That will take a while, seeing as how there are no commercials. But I guess the DNC can be just as boring at times.

its kinda makes me wish we had a "President's Questions" session of congress...where the congressmen could debate with the president on his policies, actions, and whatnot.

My first time watching CSPAN I watched a hearing on Viequez, the Navy people were getting slamed for their lack of PR while it was explained that the main people to gain from the bombing range being closed and renovated were developers who just happened to be providing the resources for the masses of protesters.

This was followed by a speech by the Canadian general (forgot his name) about Rewanda.

link_ said:
its kinda makes me wish we had a "President's Questions" session of congress...where the congressmen could debate with the president on his policies, actions, and whatnot.
Too much formality in the Senate imo, I rarely see them get worked up like the British do. Then again I rarely watch it since they always show the half hour it takes them to take attendance.

Senty said:
Too much formality in the Senate imo, I rarely see them get worked up like the British do. Then again I rarely watch it since they always show the half hour it takes them to take attendance.

I think the House would be better suited to preform this task. You better believe they would get worked up if they had a chance to ask direct questions to the sitting president.

I think it would accomplish severalthings:

First, it would hold the president immediately accountable and make him explain his/(we all know this will never happen ;))her actions.

Second, it would keep the spin, rhetoric, and BS to a minimum. As it stands now, politicians and "political corrispondents/ analysts" sit and argue for hours on public news channels about why the president did this or that.

Third, it would also make our political system more dynamic--probably forcing the president to deal with some of the smaller issues.

link_ said:
Second, it would keep the spin, rhetoric, and BS to a minimum. As it stands now, politicians and "political corrispondents/ analysts" sit and argue for hours on public news channels about why the president did this or that.
:rofl: dream on, every glory hound congressmen with an agenda would take it as an opportunity to issue more spin, rhetoric, and bullshit in an attempt to pander to the views of their home district. I mean, at least Senators dont have as limited a constituency to worry about pissing off.

Ha, Dubya can hardly read off the teleprompter without fucking up, gl going impromptu.

I agree it would be pretty interesting if this kind of forum was available.

they regularly show "Question time" on one of the public TV stations here.. they can occasionally almost ask a direct question and get a direct response, but it's almost always just politician talk, one side trying to accuse the other of some crap, and the respondant responding in kind with more politican language.. ie a whole bunch of bullcrap.

MC Hamster said:
they regularly show "Question time" on one of the public TV stations here.. they can occasionally almost ask a direct question and get a direct response, but it's almost always just politician talk, one side trying to accuse the other of some crap, and the respondant responding in kind with more politican language.. ie a whole bunch of bullcrap.

But it's spontaneous and well articulated bullcrap nonetheless.

true, I guess.

Our pollies do, at least, need to be able to bluff their way through something if they don't have an answer.

It's first run of the week is 7AM EST on Wednesdays. They have a repeat on Sunday night too...I think.

Xapz said:
It's first run of the week is 7AM EST on Wednesdays. They have a repeat on Sunday night too...I think.

They sure do have a repeat on Sunday. I always forget the time, but I always catch it. :)

Back