Want to get more ram...

Detox.enD

Veteran XV
I want to add more Ram to my system, but i don't know much about it. What kinds are there? Can you match diff types? How do I tell what will fit into my mobo?

thnx for ur help

You can fit pretty much any type in the slot, sometimes you have to sand off the extra copper connections so your motherboard will recognize it. If I were you, I'd go out and buy the cheapest thing available. RAM is really all the same. If it doesn't work at first, just take off the outside contacts one by one until it works. If after going through 6 (3 pairs of outer ones), take it back because it's defective

Stu knows his shit about memory. It really is all the same, go out and pickup some EDO if you can... its all the same.

Hoo_Man said:
Stu knows his shit about memory. It really is all the same, go out and pickup some EDO if you can... its all the same.
Yeah, if you need any help with it just post a picture of what you got and I'll show you what you need to do. It's really pretty simple and you can save a lot of money that way

(i think hes on to us)

edit*

Ok seriously, ya gota post what motherboard ya have here, before we can give ya any advice.... before yer computer starts up starting hitting delete or f4, just hit em both untill teh bios screen pops up then tell us the mobo yer runnin, im sure there is a way to do it in windows, but shit, i forgot where and how.

Write down the name of yer mobo, it should be at the top somewhere.

It'll say MSI k800-Blargh or ABIT-something or soltek-Blarghkt800 or something along those lines, write that down, then come back and tell us!

while sandpaper is a solid choice

Just look at frequency ddr 3200 = 400 2700 = 333

You needn't get more than you can use, you could try to match timings also (cas mostly). what current ram have you got?

mobo:
Motherboard Model 0G0728
Motherboard Vendor Dell Computer Corp.
Motherboard Serial Number ..CN4811135J00DL.

memory:
Memory Array Handle $1000
Memory Error Info Handle $FFFE
Total Width 64 Bits
Data Width 64 Bits
Memory Size 256 MB
Form Factor DIMM
Device Set Not part of a set
Device Locator CHANNEL A DIMM 0
Memory Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Memory Speed 400 MHz

?

SiLvEr^IcE said:
thats pc3200 RAM detox
is that good or bad?
'
ram is one thing i have 0 clue about when it comes to computers.... I've never bought it myself... so i've never had to worry about it

its not bad at all

depending on how much you can spend i'd go with some corsair xms since it has the extra low latency timings

any pc3200 ram will work in your mobo though

Back