Audio Help... 5.WTF?!

KGB_ate_myBread

Veteran XX
Alright..

So I've got some Logitech 5.1 speakers. Nothing grand, they were 50$ after rebates when I bought them close to two years ago.

Lately, 5.1 hasn't worked. I was either unable to get my rear speakers working.

Today I bought a component cable for my PS2 and Monty Python's Meaning of LIfe. I pop in the movie, and decide to connect my computer speakers up to my TV (has an adapter which is pretty cool).

Anyways, I'm lying in bed watching the movie, and decide to go check on IRC. Suddenly I realize all 4 speakers are playing sound. I've not heard my speakers do this in forever, and I was looking long and hard at getting some new 5.1 speakers today even. Anyone know why I can't get my 5.1 working?

My mobo is an Abit Nf7-s 2.0, which has support for 5.1. However, it never worked in 5.1, even when set to 5.1 and so on. So, I put my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz back in, which also supports 5.1. I set it to 5.1, and it doesn't work either still. Anyone know what might be the cause of this?

I've got the proper drivers, the proper set up, I just don't know why my 5.1 hasn't been working lately. I surely didn't adjust any wires on my computer or my sub to get it working. I'm really lost as to what's been wrong with my 5.1.

might be looking at a digital\analog output issue. checkyour computer output settings to see if they are matching the apabilities of the speakers. Digital or analog

I've got the same set of speakers I believe. I've never actually had the 5.1 set up since I can't put the rear speakers behind me in my current set up, but back when I first got them I was screwing around with them. The "rear" 2 speakers would only play hissing sounds for a while, then I hit the M3D button on the front right speaker and they started working.

Shrug. Try pushing the button ;)

Nah.. not the same set of logitechs..

I'm really not sure if it's a sound card issue either.. My versa jack is set to digital out as well.. Also, my 5.1 worked with no problems up until a month or so ago.

I guess I'm not going to worry about why it was wrong, but rather be glad it's no longer a problem.. It's just weird.

silly question, but did you check your control panel->audio properties->advanced speaker settings

just flip it to 5.1, that's usually the prob.

make sure you select the 5.1 track (if available) from the DVD you're watching. some DVDs are very poorly mastered and set the audio to ProLogic by default. also make sure your settings in your DVD player prgm are correct.

ZurN said:
might be looking at a digital\analog output issue. checkyour computer output settings to see if they are matching the apabilities of the speakers. Digital or analog
please ignore this guy's post because he has no idea wtf he's talking about

triple said:
silly question, but did you check your control panel->audio properties->advanced speaker settings

just flip it to 5.1, that's usually the prob.

In the Creative speaker properties there is a setting to "match control panel" or whatever the hell it is called. Does the Santa Cruz software have anything like that? If so, check that, and make sure both the control panel and the Santa Cruz software are both set to 5.1.

Also note that certain older games can cause the control panel to change to a 2 speaker configuration. If that is the problem, you can get a utility called Speakerguard and that will make sure your speaker settigns stay at whatever you set them to.

I don't even see where in control panel to set audio to 5.1

I'll note as well that once I quit playing PS2, put my speakers back on my PC, that it's gone back to 3.1 =(

KGB_ate_myBread said:
I don't even see where in control panel to set audio to 5.1

I'll note as well that once I quit playing PS2, put my speakers back on my PC, that it's gone back to 3.1 =(
It's probably like marantz says, your source must not have 5.1 so naturally you don't have sound in your rear speakers. But what do I know.

5point1.JPG

Back