[Gamecube} Tales of Symphonia

dweeb

Veteran XV
Hey, I'm looking to buy a good RPG game for my GC to waste time on... I've done some looking around, read a ton of reviews, and I've set my eye on Tales of Symphonia by Namco...

What I'm wondering is if any of you RPG fans out there that are unlucky enough to be stuck with a 'cube own/played this game? If so, could you tell me what you liked/didn't like?

Thanks.

It's one of my favorite games in the past 2-3 years. It is a 100% buy.

It's very fun, it's long, it's pretty unique too. The characters can be a bit cheesy, but still WAY WAY WAY better than the recent square games. The combat is fun and it is even pretty challenging.

The story was pretty good. Way better than the other shitty rpgs that have been coming out recently

Aestis said:
Baten Kaitos? I have been meaning to pick that up

yeah that game. I want to get it but i am poor

so im trying to get this gamecube streaming shit to work

What do you guys think about the battle system? The AI characters? That was one of the things that I wasn't too sure about... That and the voices... I'm slightly worried I'll want to cut my own throat like in Brave Fencer Mushashi.

Voice acting is passable. You'll be annoyed by the main girl but you won't care cause the game will be fun.
The AI is ok. Unlike Star Ocean they will actually fight semi well.

dweeb said:
What do you guys think about the battle system? The AI characters? That was one of the things that I wasn't too sure about... That and the voices... I'm slightly worried I'll want to cut my own throat like in Brave Fencer Mushashi.

WHy not rent it first?
I rented it and I didnt really care for it.

The only character I hated was colette, she was a stupid annoying bitch. All japanese games have that character though.

The AI is good enough so that you won't have to worry about it. Like SC said, in Star Ocean the AI was fucking horrible. To beat the last boss, I had to take control of the healer and sit back and heal myself. If I didn't, she's blow all her mana away with shitty offensive spells then go up and melee and die in one shot.

colette didnt bother me as much as that teacher lady did. she pissed the fuck out of me.

If you play a lot of these games, the extremely predictable storyline will have you rolling your eyes constantly...but the battle system more than makes up for it. Super fun, controls much like a fighting game, just like the past Tales games. The Arena fights later on in the game are super-fun as well.
Spoiler

my little brother just put 90+ hours into tales of symphonia.. I'm not big into RPG's but he fuckin loved it

I was wondering about this game myself. I've got a bunch of console RPGs now, but I've barely played them. I'm at the very end of FFX, but then I got Mercs and RE4, so I am playing them instead. Then I also have Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts, and Skies of Arcadia Legends that I haven't even opened yet.

FFX is ok, FFX-2 is fucking retarded. I haven't played Xenosaga or Skies of Arcadia, but Kingdom Hearts is awesome

Back