Couple science questions...

DDS

Veteran XV
Just a couple things that have been going around in my mind latley. Perhaps you could shed some light.

How fast is the sun moving through space?

and

My chem teacher once said complex life could not evolve on earth until oxygen was present. Given that carbon dioxide breathing organisms had such an head start on oxygen breathing ones, i assume this is true. But do you know the reason why?

:roller:

Last edited:
mznthrope said:
1. It does not move. The Sun is the center of the Universe.

I dont think that can be proven for certainty at this point. its much safer to say its the center of our solar system

dds said:
How fast is the sun moving through space?
This is not an easy question to answer. We know the speed at which the sun rotates around the center of the galaxy, but that's not the speed of the sun, as our galaxy itself (and everything in it, including the sun) is moving. The question is, "how fast is the sun moving through space, relative to X."

Dark Draco said:
I dont think that can be proven for certainty at this point. its much safer to say its the center of our solar system
i suppose it's possible that the whole universe is moving but none of us notice because we're all in the same frame of reference?

SegaRob said:
i suppose it's possible that the whole universe is moving but none of us notice because we're all in the same frame of reference?
The universe is _expanding_ but the universe doesn't "move," that wouldn't make sense. Move through what?

universe moving as in everything in the universe moving in a certain direction with a certain velocity (ie, a constant velocity PLUS the expanding, ie you would have 2 motions), such that it is impossible to measure from our frame of reference.

dds said:
My chem teacher once said complex life could not evolve on earth until oxygen was present. Given that carbon dioxide breathing organisms had such an head start on oxygen breathing ones, i assume this is true. But do you know the reason why?
:roller:

No. The earths atmosphere used to have no signifigant concentration of O2 gas. Early organisms (talking 1 celled bacteria, ect) did not use O2 in their metabolisms. Then 1 type called cyanobacteria developed, and they used photosynthesis with O2 as a byproduct. Gradually over millions/billions of years the concentration of O2 in the atmosphere increased to a point where more complex metabolisms using O2 were used and therefore more complex organsims could develop.

Back