What the fuck is Microsoft doing over there?

CapnPyro

Contributor
Veteran XX
Jesus fuck me christ, normally I'm a Mac guy who fucking loves OS X, but I recently built a high-end PC because a.) it's cheaper b.) i can play any game i want on it

So naturally I'm rooting for the next version of windows, Longhorn with it's pixelshader Avalon graphics core, and all. So I find some new screenshots of the latest Longhorn build and after some 4 or 5 fucking years ALL THAT MICROSOFT HAS COME UP WITH IS WINDOWS XP WITH A GRAY SCHEME. It's not even a particularly well made or attractive skin at that, and could their interface engineers find a way to waste any more space? Jesus christ. If valve ported HL2/CS:S I'd sell this pc and get a used G5 tomorrow.

http://board.msbetas.org/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=sc&cat=15

I was expecting something that atleast looks to be in the same class as OS X, they've had a couple years to rip it off atleast.

"Oh my god Longhorn is ugly I want a Mac!!" You're a fanboi. Not many people are excited because of how amazing Longhorn is supposed to look, it not exactly a fashion like Apple products are. Most are excited because it will have new features and stuff like that. I was going to say new features, better security, and crash less than XP but then I remembered it will do all of those more than XP. I just want to the new features and shit.

CJS27-137-012.jpg

Go to update.windows.com and get the latest security patch if that's what get's you off, I'd rather have a functional and forward thinking OS instead of the same.old.thing.

kura.. IT LOOKS THE SAME

it's like clark kent, instead of glasses or no glasses, it's gray instead of blue =\

CapnPyro said:
kura.. IT LOOKS THE SAME
No, it doesn't. XP and OSX look like toys for children.

What exactly were you expecting? A new and revolutionary design for the shell? I'm really hard pressed to think of a way to improve upon the Windows UI. There's only so much that you can do with a 2D interface and still have it be intuative and functional.

Hell, even Apple, the company that apparently designs such innovative (read: taken from other people) and beautiful (read: gaudy) interfaces ripped off Microsoft's UI.

CapnPyro said:
Go to update.windows.com and get the latest security patch if that's what get's you off, I'd rather have a functional and forward thinking OS instead of the same.old.thing.
MM HMM....and I'd rather not have to beg, plead, pray, and hope that they ported all the hot games over to my machine.

I don't really want my OS to take a major fashion leap each time there is a new version. I want a slowly evolving OS interface which is driven by features not appearence.

thats probably the worst operating system ever made

(like anyone can ever know that napolean)

cause the layout is already good, why change it? and hasnt longhorn been pushed back to another year or two, cause originally it was going to be this year

Back