interesting statistic

if you're trying to make some kind of point then I could just argue that the reason we're so affluent and stable is because of that very reason.

p9Morbid said:
if you're trying to make some kind of point then I could just argue that the reason we're so affluent and stable is because of that very reason.

no i'm not. That said, that argument is stupid. There are countless stable and affluent nations in the world besides the US. The US is the most powerful, but that isn't because of your lack of contitutional right to vote. Anyways, I juts thought it was an interesting factoid.

Whoa whoa whoa, pointing out that Jesse Jackson wrote it is not going to help your case here at all. I support your pov in this thread, but that was a mistake.

they dont need the right to vote because they maintain the right to shoot at the government if it doesnt do what most of them want

LoneGunman said:
are you saying that the US does not have the right to vote?!?!?!?

Yes, you do not have the right to vote as a citizen. The state can deny you the right to vote if they so choose, and you have no contitutional grounds to fight back.

SegaRob said:
We don't have a constitutional right to vote? Then how do people vote without violating the Constitution?
that's a retarded statement. just because it isnt a right in there (like for instance driving a car or beathing) doesnt mean it's unconstitutional to do it.

logmans said:
that's a retarded statement. just because it isnt a right in there (like for instance driving a car or beathing) doesnt mean it's unconstitutional to do it.
I have a right to live. Part of that is breathing, so yes I have a right to breathing. Driving is a privilige granted by the state - the privilige can be revoked. Care to give less retarded examples?

orbital 123 said:
Yes, you do not have the right to vote as a citizen. The state can deny you the right to vote if they so choose, and you have no contitutional grounds to fight back.
that's not correct. The people have decided by virtue of sparking legislation in order to prevent felons from voting, if that's what you're talking about.

SegaRob said:
Driving is a privilige granted by the state - the privilige can be revoked. Care to give less retarded examples?

/me smacks self on head
it can be revoked, but it certainly isnt unconstitutional

It is against the law to drive until the state clearly gives you permission to drive.

I think I should add that feasibly, a state can ban driving in the entire state. I don't think it could do that with voting. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Last edited:
I thought this was common knowledge. The US was founded as a federation of states, they could not decide whom would receive the right to vote, so it was left to the states.

The states are supposed to have all the power here, unfortunately that's not how it worked out over the years.

For a long time, who had to be a white property owner to vote in the US. The 19th Ammendment only says your right to vote won't be denied cause of sex, and the 15th says it won't be denied cause of color, but frankly the states could deny it for any other reason.

troll.jpg

if other countries want to have that kind of "by law," for lack of a better term, in their constitution then I don't have a problem with that. As long as the spirit of the "constitution" is well intentioned it doesn't matter to me how other country's run their shit (unlike our friend orby).

Rayn said:
I thought this was common knowledge. The US was founded as a federation of states, they could not decide whom would receive the right to vote, so it was left to the states.

The states are supposed to have all the power here, unfortunately that's not how it worked out over the years.

For a long time, who had to be a white property owner to vote in the US. The 19th Ammendment only says your right to vote won't be denied cause of sex, and the 15th says it won't be denied cause of color, but frankly the states could deny it for any other reason.
For a while you had to pay a voting tax, so that kept poor people from voting. I'm not sure if I'd be against a small voting tax.

Back