Splinter Cell 3 MP (vs mode) video

PyroTeknik

Contributor
Veteran XV
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=4351&type=wmv

Shows a bit of gameplay from both spies and mercs.
New things that are seen on this video:
- Spies have co op moves to reach higher places and stuff
- Spies can pull mercs over a ledge from below (bahahaha, now that's going to be fun)
- Optical camo for spies (not sure I like that idea)
- Interactive environments (projectors that can be used to scan areas, misc stuff to destroy walls/open new paths, etc)
- Mercs have a new 360° spin attack to knock down sneaky spies
- Mercs can pin spies to the ground (and possibly kill from the looks of it)
- There appears to be a gasmask available for the mercs
- Certain walls/doors appear to be destructible (I'm guessing only by mercs)

Graphics don't seem to have changed much (all I've noticed is a bit more objects in the background and an improved flashlight effect), but then again, the MP portion of Pandora Tomorrow already looked fantastic and I suppose they want to keep a smooth framerate all around (not to mention it's freaking dark anyhow).
One thing I did notice was missing was player shadows; this is most likely not a final build, but it looks weird without them (especially since splinter cell is famed for the real time shadows).

Still, aside from the optical camo, it's looking damn fine. I really don't like the idea of spies being even harder to see, but it'll probably show up on EM vision anyways (maybe they want people to be forced to used more vision modes) and it will most likely not last very long.
The coop moves look like a blast; I wonder if the mercs get any new gadgets aside from that gas mask.
:rawr:

The spy pulling the merc off the ledge was great. PT was one of my favorite MP games, I hope CT lasts longer before idiots fag it up.

I hope they fix all the problems that came with the PC multiplayer in PT. I never got to play it because of the loading bugs. :(

Even for MP I would recommed to play it on console.
The game was clearly designed with consoles in mind, and the lack of precision of mercs (in addition to the "lazy gun" aiming) was an integral part of gameplay.
It's a very clever design, shame they didn't think so much about the possibilities for abuse (spawn/sleep camping, smoke grenade spam, etc...).
Great to play with people you know though. I hope Chaos Theory takes some additional steps in preventing that kind of retarded abuse. The gas mask will go a long way towards making the spies a lot less effective at killing mercs straight up.
That 360 spin move looks badass as well, and I'm sure it'll annoy the crap out of noisy spies.

I hope they kept the phosphorous grenades but made it more visible. It was a really neat tool in concept, but it wasn't very easy to see (dunno whose idea it was to make the damn thing dark green when it should be glowing).

I'm wondering if they're going the Halo 2 way when it comes to voice comm. I think that would be a lot better than having to use a spy bullet; just being close to hear them speaking like in H2 would be damn cool.

Hrm in the earlier videos the graphics look 10x better, I guess it got choppy on the xbox and they decided to lower the detail :(

what I love about these multiplayer modes is that you can have a ton of fun with a small amount of people, while most games nowadays are focusing on bigger and bigger numbers as technology increases.

I've played both other SC games on PC, and since I don't have a console I'm sure CT will be on my comp as well. :) It is really an awesome series, hopefully CT will be as good as the first two.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=4355&type=wmv

Higher res video, same thing.
It's definitely a gas mask, you can see the icon on the bottom left.
The energy bar for the spies' guns seems to be the same as the one for the optical camo (camo drains energy slowly).

Rawr.
I dunno what's up with the graphics in this video.
Player shadows appear in some parts and not in others. Go figure.

PyroTeknik said:
Even for MP I would recommed to play it on console.
The game was clearly designed with consoles in mind, and the lack of precision of mercs (in addition to the "lazy gun" aiming) was an integral part of gameplay.
It's a very clever design, shame they didn't think so much about the possibilities for abuse (spawn/sleep camping, smoke grenade spam, etc...).
Great to play with people you know though. I hope Chaos Theory takes some additional steps in preventing that kind of retarded abuse. The gas mask will go a long way towards making the spies a lot less effective at killing mercs straight up.
That 360 spin move looks badass as well, and I'm sure it'll annoy the crap out of noisy spies.

I hope they kept the phosphorous grenades but made it more visible. It was a really neat tool in concept, but it wasn't very easy to see (dunno whose idea it was to make the damn thing dark green when it should be glowing).

I'm wondering if they're going the Halo 2 way when it comes to voice comm. I think that would be a lot better than having to use a spy bullet; just being close to hear them speaking like in H2 would be damn cool.

You're 100% wrong about playing it on a console. The controls are so freaking bad with a joystick it's not even funny.

Huh?
I have Pandora Tomorrow on Xbox and I can play just fine, and apparently so can all the TWers I used to play with, along with every other person online on xbox live.
I'll take the console version over the pc version any day.

This is a game I will definately get, and I will definately get it on my X-Box and not my PC. I agree that it just feels better in every way on a console.

:bump:

New info from gamespot and IGN.

Co-op details:
- Only 4 levels :( No idea how long they are though.
- Local voice; the AI will hear you and react to the sound of your voice (so you'll *gasp* have to whisper sometimes!)
- The AI reacts to your presence; if it sees 1 spy, it'll act like in SP, but if it sees 2 spies it'll increase difficulty (they become more cautious and shiz)
- In versus and co-op, teammates can heal each other and remove spy bullets/spy traps; in co-op, you can revive a dead teammate with an adrenalin shot

New stuff for spies:
- Optic camo seen in the video doesn't work when it rains and you can't move fast with it (I hope they get creative with sprinklers :))
- The ability to set up a network of sticky cameras; cameras can be recovered and you can access them at any time
- Heartbeat detector to see mercs

New stuff for mercs:
- The ability to browse through security cameras; they have all the vision modes mercs have (the camera will change color to indicate it's being used, and what vision mode it's in, kind of like the merc visor)
- The gas mask (mentioned already, but they say it's got limited uses)
- A backpack to store extra stuff that can be accessed by either you or your teammate
- Poison mines (the spy has X seconds to find a first aid kit or die)
- 3 weapons to choose: shotgun, SMG and assault rifle
- The spy trap can be used as a motion detector

Gametypes:
- Neutralization, Extraction and Bombing are grouped into a "Story" gametype. Basically, each map has several types of objectives, some of which are optional and open new paths to other objectives (kind of like a multi-tiered mission really)
- Disk Hunt; basically spies must collect a number of randomly placed disks
- Deathmatch: Spies only get a flashbang and mercs only get a flare. Mercs can't use vision and they can't kick the crap out of spies (sounds very bleh).
- There's a practice mode where spies and mercs can communicate freely to learn how to play.
- Each map has a "tour" that shows the different objectives, placement of cameras, etc...

The co-op moves in versus mode should be fun.
Almost everything about the game sounds awesome.
Except for that predator camo. It just seems awfully out of place.

PyroTeknik said:
Huh?
I have Pandora Tomorrow on Xbox and I can play just fine, and apparently so can all the TWers I used to play with, along with every other person online on xbox live.
I'll take the console version over the pc version any day.

Have you even played the PC version? Any FPS is better with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
saw this earlier today. I cannot wait for the fileplanet beta for Chaos Theory MP to open up.

Back