t-348160 Tekken 5 is gonna ****in' bankrupt me. (long, be forewarned) [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Tekken 5 is gonna ****in' bankrupt me. (long, be forewarned)

Pages : [1] 2

Ben Reed
12-12-2004, 11:46 AM
All right, here's how it all went down.

I sat down at a shiny new Tekken 5 cabinet in one of the local arcades yesterday along with my brother, who also plays fighting games. I knew full well that I blew goats at Tekken, but since I'd heard that T5 was supposed to 'handle' more like Virtua Fighter in terms of how it accepted commands, I decided to give it the ol' community college try.

The game was a ****in' dollar to play, no surprise there, so I broke a fiver in the change machine and set about twirling and flaring and dancing around as Christie, who I remembered a move or two from after playing with her in Tekken 4. I was thinking to myself "Eh, this is all right, but I really oughta be saving most of this for a few rounds of Guilty Gear at the cabinet over yonder." Then my brother mentions something randomly...

"I wonder how the card system on this thing works..."

The words hit a nerve center in my brain, instantly conjuring memories of Virtua Fighter 4's sweet-ASS personal player account card system, where by winning matches against other players, you accumulated not only a W/L record, but all kinds of wacked out-items with which to customize your character. Cowboy hats, different hairstyles, new outfit pieces, the works. If you've never heard of such a thing in arcades, I don't blame you -- VF4's system was only in Japanese arcades.

I asked the boy (my brother, "the boy" is kinda my pet name for him) more about it. "This thing has a card system? I thought only the Japanese had the arcade market to support such a thing." Then it dawned on me that since the whole freakin' cabinet was produced and distributed by Namco (the company that makes Tekken), they could pretty much do whatever the hell they wanted with it.

The boy confirmed that the card system was fully functional, so I asked him how much it cost to get myself a card from the machine's little built-in vending machine. Five freakin' dollars later, I get my shiny little card and pop it into the machine. You think it's expensive when I'm now $6.00 in the hole, just wait -- it gets even better.

First of all, before a fight begins, the game lets you change your profile name from the default character name just like in VF4. This is plenty of time, I guess, if you're playing as somebody with a short-ish name like Bryan or Jack. Me? I picked Christie Montiero...and I have only 30 seconds before each match to change her name to mine. And considering there's no ****ing delete button (that I know of) and it takes at least 5 seconds to scroll through each letter, it's probably gonna take me at least another three plays before I've got it completely switched to "Ben Reed"...right now it reads something like "Bejistie Montieroff" or something.

Secondly, most of the items are expensive as hell...you get 200 gold for any fight against another human player you take part in if you lose, and you get 1000 for a match you win. The cheapest of the customization options, however, (alternate colors) go for around 8,000 gold each. So far, with two losses and two wins (all against my brother), I'm up to 2,400 gold...which means I have to beat his ass six more times to buy something cheap from the item shop...which means I have to spend a minimum of six more dollars if I want to buy anything from the shop.

Finally, when you splurge on a $5 card, once you pick the character for that card account, that's it. You can't change characters on that card...if you want another account for somebody else, you're gonna have to buy another card.

It's plain to see that Tekken 5 is an expensive habit, but is it worth it? For me, hell yes. Then again, I'm a sucker for customization. I'd trade my left nut to be able to give myself a custom avatar in every game I play, just because I'm a whore for being unique.

Cliff's Notes:

Ben Reed goes to the arcade.

Ben Reed spends $1.00 for one play of Tekken 5 and figures that it's gonna be too expensive of a fighting-game habit considering the other available options.

Then Ben Reed learns that for $5.00 you can get a card to allow your character to unlock shiny new items.

Ben Reed remembers that he's a slut for customization.

Within 45 minutes Ben Reed has poured $11.00 or more into the Tekken 5 machine, and leaves the arcade addicted to a game more expensive than your average celebrity coke habit.

Expect Ben Reed to be penniless and sucking cock for chump change on the street corner by the end of the week.

envy
12-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I remember going to the arcade when I was like 12 and seeing those creepy old guys there.

Morbid
wait for it on X-box?

F5Fury
I've got a dollar.

Gon
12-12-2004, 11:48 AM
oh

oh

Wrathchild
12-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Wait you can blow goats in Tekken 5?

Ben Reed
wait for it on X-box?

I don't recall them ever announcing it for Xbox.

It is a very fun game, and I would actually like to learn how to play it in the arcades worth a crap.

Besides which, if I just waited on the home version, I'd have to leave all my characters' sunglasses and funky hairdos and crap at home and play as the plain vanilla characters in the arcade. I'm so desperate to stand out, even if it's just cosmetically, that I'll gladly blow ten bucks a play session on T5.

SKnight
Don't worry, you can suck my cock any time you want. I'll pay premium if you dress yourself up like a cheerleader.

haniblecter
Jesus.

Isnt it illegal to do **** like that? I mean, a doller on a fighting game.

Ben Reed
12-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I've got a dollar.

GIVE IT TO ME

/me kills Fury, steals his wallet, and sells his organs to shady Chinese fellows in order to get even more T5 cash

Teknoice
12-12-2004, 11:53 AM
/me paypals Ben Reed a dolla

not.

Ben Reed
12-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Jesus.

Isnt it illegal to do **** like that? I mean, a doller on a fighting game.

It is robbery, but I don't blame Namco and the arcade industry in the slightest. I mean, this is ****ing Tekken we're talking about here, easily one the most popular (and therefore PROFITABLE) fighting game franchise in America, and it's pretty much the only fighting game that will potentially turn a profit in modern arcades.

If it were my baby, I'd milk that cash cow till she bled to death.

Fighting games are all but dead in arcades...if you wanna make money in the arcade industry, you need a DDR machine or a clone thereof, unless your name is Tekken.

Actually, to be honest, if you wanna make money in the arcade industry, you're in the wrong line of work.

F5Fury
12-12-2004, 11:56 AM
GIVE IT TO ME

* Ben Reed kills Fury, steals his wallet, and sells his organs to shady Chinese fellows in order to get even more T5 cash

Ha, jokes on you, i'm broke as ****. :mecry:

Ben Reed
12-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Ha, jokes on you, i'm broke as ****. :mecry:

All the more reason to sell your organs to Tai Mai Shu over there, then.

Big happy lucky fortune for Yankee consumer!

fartiusstinkius
12-12-2004, 11:58 AM
that's a lot of money for a game

Ben Reed
12-12-2004, 11:59 AM
that's a lot of money for a game

Eh. I can hack it.

nolt
12-12-2004, 11:59 AM
ppl still go to arcades?

Mangle-Me-Elmo
12-12-2004, 12:02 PM
k

Ben Reed
12-12-2004, 12:04 PM
ppl still go to arcades?

An elite few, yes.

Generally there are only 3 kinds of people in arcades these days:

- Loudmouth little kids playing driving games and what have you
- Random black, Asian, and Hispanic guys playing (and sucking at) Tekken or Marvel vs. Capcom 2, with a VERY occasional white guy such as myself
- Random whitebread mallrats playing DDR and looking like dorks (redundant, I know)

It's a shame that arcades are on the way out, because they are the purest form of classic player-versus-player video game combat. There's no lag to lean on as a crutch, there's no Internet anonymity to hide behind if you're feeling like being a cock goblin. You either work the stick like Da Vinci and his paintbrush or you die like a *****.

[THE]Perrin
12-12-2004, 12:07 PM
I remember going to the arcade when I was like 12 and seeing those creepy old guys there.

That was a gay whore house.

Common mistake.