Mages: Frost Nova to Blizzard -- Viable Central Strat?

Apotheosis

Veteran XV
I haven't actually started a Mage build yet, but I was leaning towards the possiblity of a Arcane/Frost build.

This route appeals to me because it would be possible for me to get to the top of the Arcane tree (Arcane Power), and at the same time reap the benefits of what to me seems like a powerful Frost combo through the Shatter and Ice Shards talents.

The build I am making pretty much revolves around allowing the Mage to make hits at a frequent rate on already frozen targets.
My question is basically how consistently are players able to freeze other characters (both NPCs and PCs), without the Frostbite talent? As I understand it, the only spell capable of freezing (without Frostbite) is Frost Nova. On mobs +2 to +4 your level, does the freeze effect of Frost Nova actually stick, and for the ~10 seconds as advertized? I am also making this build out to be a PvP character (thus the focus on the Arcane tree), so does anyone know about resists from other PCs?

A potential for high damage also arises when one considers the possibility of performing Frost Nova (freezing the target) followed by the Blizzard spell. At endgame, Frost Nova will freeze the target for 10 seconds, and Blizzard will have a damage output of 1100+ damage over 8 seconds at a cost of 1300 mana. What makes this attractive is the maxed Shatter (Increases the critical strike chance of your frost spells against frozen targets by 50%) and Ice Shards (Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Frost spells by 100%) talents. Is this a viable tactic to focus your character's offensive ability around?

Does anyone who has experience with Mages have any input on this Arcane31/Frost20 build?

Thanks a bunch!

In my experience thus far (with absolutely no points in frost talents), freezing enemies 4+ levels above you with nova doesn't last long at all. Of the 8 seconds possible, I get the feeling I usually get no more than 2-4 seconds. Poly, on the other hands, lasts nice and long usually ;)

I guess saying +4 levels was setting the bar up a little too high. How about freezing targets ~3 levels about you? I've heard that there is a sort of glass wall that Mages (and other offensive spellcasters) reach regarding monster resistances when you reach the +4 level limit.

Do you know if Frost Nova'd PCs endure more of the 10 second freeze timer? I suppose I'm more interested in the PvP aspect than the PvE aspect anyways :p

I should rephrase. The statement I made applies to PCs. It seems easier to land a hit with nova on a PC 4+ levels above you, but it doesn't last long. For NPCs, it's harder to land the nova, but if it hits it seems to stick for nearly the full length of time.

This is the complete build I'm considering, btw. Arcane31/Frost20.

---

Saved Template

Class: Mage
Level: 60

Arcane Talents (31 points)

# Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points
Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while channeling Arcane Missiles.

# Arcane Focus - 2/5 points
Reduces the chance that the opponent can resist your arcane spells by 4%.

# Arcane Concentration - 5/5 points
Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next damage spell by 100%.

# Improved Arcane Explosion - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Arcane Explosion by 1.5 seconds.

# Evocation - 1/1 point
While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased by 1500%. Lasts 8 seconds.

# Improved Mana Shield - 2/2 points
Increases the damage absorbed by your Mana Shield by 75%.

# Improved Counterspell - 2/2 points
Gives your Counterspell a 100% chance to silence the target for 4 seconds.

# Arcane Mind - 4/4 points
Increases your maximum Mana by 8%.

# Presence of Mind - 1/1 point
When activated, your next Mage spell with a casting time less than 10 seconds becomes an instant cast spell.

# Arcane Instability - 3/3 points
Increases your spell damage and critical strike chance by 3%.

# Arcane Power - 1/1 point
When activated, your spells deal 35% more damage while costing 35% more mana to cast. This effect lasts 15 seconds.

Frost Talents (20 points)

# Permafrost - 1/5 point
Increases the duration of your chill effects by 1 second.

# Improved Frostbolt - 4/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Frostbolt spell by 0.4 seconds.

# Improved Frost Nova - 2/2 points
Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by ?.

# Ice Shards - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Frost spells by 100%.

# Cold Snap - 1/1 point
When activated, this spell finishes the cooldown on all of your cold spells.

# Piercing Ice - 1/3 point
Increases the damage done by your frost spells by 2%.

# Improved Blizzard - 1/3 point
Adds a chill effect to your Blizzard spell. This effect lowers the target's movement speed to 60% of normal. Lasts 8.50 seconds.

# Shatter - 5/5 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your frost spells against frozen targets by 50%.

Fire Talents (0 points)

# None

Bohica said:
I should rephrase. The statement I made applies to PCs. It seems easier to land a hit with nova on a PC 4+ levels above you, but it doesn't last long. For NPCs, it's harder to land the nova, but if it hits it seems to stick for nearly the full length of time.

Ahh okay. Thanks for the reply. I plan on filling my Arcane Tree out first, before I move over to Frost anyways. Maybe some time with the spells first hand will make my decision between Arcane/Frost and Arcane/Fire a bit easier :)

It seems like PCs will have a much easier time escaping the Frost Nova freeze duration from what you're saying, and that would make the Blizzard spell rather inefficient (considering the PCs can just run out of the area of effect). I guess I might end up just going Arcane/Fire, but we'll see :)

Back