Level 60 on eBay got busted.

Vermillion1

Veteran X
So this guy "Machine" was selling his 60 Rogue on eBay a few days ago. His auction managed to last 48 hours before going poof.

The guy was a real dumbass. He didnt fully black out his character name in his pictures and the dumbass prolly used cosmo cause alot of people on WoW forum made direct connections to his thottbot account and the items listed with the eBay auction.

Guy wasnt real bright, apparently the auction was yanked and the account banned (can we say owned?) cause a friend of his (or him with a second account) made some post on the forums saying "its not fair you banned the account since it never sold".

Real genious. :rofl:

I believe people pass it off as the selling of the time invested by the player to create the character, and is legitimate in that respect.

However, selling WoW stuff online is in violation of the ToS, and so Blizzard has every right to prosecute/ban people found doing this sort of stuff.

DynamoSupremo said:
Copyright law states it's illegal to make a profit off of the intelectual property of someone else.

i dont believe that's the issue. blizzard doesnt technically own your character under "intellectual property." they own the game. the issue is whether they can be "split."

Apotheosis said:
I believe people pass it off as the selling of the time invested by the player to create the character, and is legitimate in that respect.

However, selling WoW stuff online is in violation of the ToS, and so Blizzard has every right to prosecute/ban people found doing this sort of stuff.

this i believe is prolly right. in the wake of the EQ/eBay lawsuits, i suspect they just make this an explicit part of the agreement which none of us read :)

the issue isnt as much intellectual property of chars as it is a question of the independent status of the characters AS transferable property. in essence, blizzard gets to decide that.

i personally want to see a popular MMO make this 'real world' market aspect legitimate. i know some try...

Last edited:
ZenTseTse said:
i personally want to see a popular MMO make this 'real world' market aspect legitimate. i know some try...
except that it was allowed for other games and it ruined them

its a fucking stupid idea and im damn glad blizz made the good stuff bind on pickup and have a policy against faggots selling on ebay and similar sites

ZenTseTse said:
i dont believe that's the issue. blizzard doesnt technically own your character under "intellectual property." they own the game. the issue is whether they can be "split."

Well, Blizzard says otherwise.

WoW Community Site said:
We also want to remind potential buyers in the game to please refrain from buying in-game property with real money. We understand the temptation to purchase better items, but Blizzard, and not the seller, does own all in-game property. In addition, we feel that characters can find ample equipment and money within the game through their own adventuring and questing. Please understand that if you do purchase in-game property from sellers on eBay and personal sites, we may temporarily suspend your account, and at the very least, delete the offending items.

Bodom said:
except that it was allowed for other games and it ruined them

its a fucking stupid idea and im damn glad blizz made the good stuff bind on pickup and have a policy against faggots selling on ebay and similar sites

i agree, i dont want to see real market destroy an in-game market.

HOWEVER...

a market is a market, and if there are ways to allow it to expand in interesting ways... that's the value of markets. THEY MAKE VALUE.

all im saying is that it can (and will) be done in a way that enhances an MMO.

i believe 1g ingame is worth roughly about $1. if blizzard or some other company realizes they can make a robust REAL LIFE market... they could develop their own ebay, secure money transfer where real money can come into play.

there are staggering implications.

like real life... some implications would suck. some would rock. overall... it would make things more interesting if done properly (and with some rules).

I read on the forums a few days ago on that, and to an extent it's true. When we buy and play games we only legally have the right to play it, we don't actually own it. So technically selling an account for real money is illegal under copyright.

Personally I don't think about such things. It's a game, and you can make money doing other things than simply playing a game account to sell on ebay. That just seems like a real waste of time and if you factor in time spent versus money earned the hourly rate is probably not much higher than the average job.

yeah itd be real interesting to see everything being camped to high hell by farmers so they can sell loot for money then sell it online for money

did you play any rpgs that allowed this? every single one had the economy ripped to shreds by it.

why should someone lame enough to pay real money for stuff that other people work hard for. its stupid.

ZenTseTse said:
i agree, i dont want to see real market destroy an in-game market.

HOWEVER...

a market is a market, and if there are ways to allow it to expand in interesting ways... that's the value of markets. THEY MAKE VALUE.

all im saying is that it can (and will) be done in a way that enhances an MMO.

i believe 1g ingame is worth roughly about $1. if blizzard or some other company realizes they can make a robust REAL LIFE market... they could develop their own ebay, secure money transfer where real money can come into play.

there are staggering implications.

like real life... some implications would suck. some would rock. overall... it would make things more interesting if done properly (and with some rules).

Nope, sorry, this won't work and it's rather obvious that you have not played in an MMORPG that has been through the Ebay shredder.

Once people realize that they can legally sell thins for RL cash, goodbye ingame market. All of the good items, all of the rare items, all of the quest items (bind on wield, etc.) will only be sold for RL cash. Many people do not want to pay money for ingame items, a monthly fee is enough for them.

Others will buy all of their ingame money from RL auctions/transactions, thus granting them instant wealth, while those who only stick to the confines of the online game will not have as much money. Thus, those who buy their money will be able to outbid those who do not.

Back