[Contacts] Out of solution, ok to store in water?

DD

Veteran X
I just realized that I have no more contact solution left. If I let them soak overnight in water as opposed to the solution, will they be ok, or is it no use at all? I wear monthly's and today was the first day I wore my new pair, and now I'm afraid they're going to be wasted. :(

Soak them in mouthwash instead. This will kill all of the bacteria on your contacts and actually removes protein deposits pretty well.

Water should be fine, but it won't clean them.

The "solution" is mostly water anyway.

Somehow mouthwash seems like a horrible idea if you want to be able to see.

Ascoe said:
Water should be fine, but it won't clean them.

The "solution" is mostly water anyway.

Do not listen to this person.

If you are lucky you won't go blind from storing them in water but it is a very big risk. Even saline solution is risky because it doesn't properly clean all the bugs off the surface of the lense.

If you can manage without them until you get some more solution do so. Leave the contact lenses out, sure they'll dry out but once you put them in solution they will rehydrate in a few hours.

If you have glasses, wear them.

If not, DON'T put them in water and then wear them.

when i tried the water way (not all night, but for a couple hours) and put them back on, they burned like hell

but i guess they were ok after a bit and didnt dry out

WTF are yappin' about, GKFC? You will not go blind storing the contacts in water.

I've run out of solution before also, and have had to store them in water overnight. I used bottled water, and they were fine.

or you can just go to sleep wearing contacts...Yea, I've read some horrible stories about people being in terrible pain in the hospital for a week after leaving them in overnight, but I've done it a couple times when drunk, and it seems to be fine the next morning :shrug:

yea, water is not good to soak them in

go to the store or just sleep in them(not the best idea, but better than putting them in water)

SameerK said:
or you can just go to sleep wearing contacts...Yea, I've read some horrible stories about people being in terrible pain in the hospital for a week after leaving them in overnight, but I've done it a couple times when drunk, and it seems to be fine the next morning :shrug:

shit i've left acuvue 2's in for months straight...

Ive done it a few times with mine due to the same reason. When you put them on in the morning they will feel really weird and irritated at first but give it it a minn and they will be fine. Just dont do it 2 nights in a row.

Well I don't know about tap water being risky, but it sure is pretty good at ruining disposables. I've done it a couple times when I've been somewhere and forgotten to bring solution, and it makes them feel like complete shit.

You're better off just wearing them overnight, and getting some solution in the morning. Either that, or get off your ass and find a 24hr pharmacy...

when I was younger I would wear my contacts for weeks without taking them out

eyes hurt like hell in the morning and are pretty red but it goes away after a few minutes

Ascoe said:
Ideally you would wash them with solution after storing them with water overnight...

Still not sure if this person needs them tomorrow, but if not then just leave them to dry out then rehydrate with solution.

Don't store them in water for the sake of the children.

And Justin that is one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I have fallen asleep once or twice when drunk with my soft lenses in and regretted it in the morning. You need to take them out to allow your eyes to breath, and to clean any bacteria / protein deposits off them.

The other option is go ask around for anyone else who wears contacts. Pretty easy to find someone.

i remember reading a horror story in a Reader's Digest one time...this girl was on a plane, and she left her contacts in, and went to sleep...but when she woke up, apparently the lens stuck to her cornea, so she had to have some crazy ass surgery, felt nothing but horrible excrutiating pain for a week, and almost went blind in both eyes

God you people are fucking awful with contacts. Saline solution only, it's like 2 dollars and a lot of pharmacies are open 24 hrs. 24 hr grocery store or walmart even carry solutions. And you shouldn't really wear them for more than 12 hours a day. Eventually the lack of oxygen to the cells on the surface of your eye screws them up.

I work at an optometrist's office and regularly see dumbasses who have been trying to wear monthly disposables for three months, or various other stupidity. Then they have to pay $40 for an office visit and who knows what for antibiotic drops.

Just take them out each night, and stock up on 1-2 bottles of solution. If you are too lazy to take contacts out each night you should probably get glasses.

Back