HDTV: Tuner assistance needed.

Stealth

Veteran XV
So I purchased a Hitachi 57S715 and it comes with a built-in tuner. Do any of you have experience with OTA tuners? Are they worth setting up? Should I just get a box from my local cable company?

You want the cable company box - the OTA stuff isn't available in the same quantity as cable, and OTA will still break up from time to time.

it all depends on your cable service... right now HDTV showing are pretty limited unless you get an HDTV package, even then most of the HDTV is primetime on OTA available channels. but if you have the option, I'd say get the box from your cable company and get their HDTV package(usually an extra $5 a month, from comcast, if you have digital cable)... But another way of doing it is getting a satellite provider, especially Voom!, voom is awesome and has the most HDTV channels available out of any provider

ViRGE said:
You want the cable company box - the OTA stuff isn't available in the same quantity as cable, and OTA will still break up from time to time.
wrong! while OTA can break up from time to time, it's the same quality as an HD signal you would get from subscribing to cable or satellite. that's the great thing about a digital signal: you either get the entire picture in perfect quality, or you get no picture at all. the days of a fuzzy/snowy picture resulting in a bad antenna are over now with HDTV since the signal being broadcast is digital, not analog.

you need an antenna to get it working...i've seen them run anywhere from like $20 to $120.

marantz said:
wrong! while OTA can break up from time to time, it's the same quality as an HD signal you would get from subscribing to cable or satellite. that's the great thing about a digital signal: you either get the entire picture in perfect quality, or you get no picture at all. the days of a fuzzy/snowy picture resulting in a bad antenna are over now with HDTV since the signal being broadcast is digital, not analog.

you need an antenna to get it working...i've seen them run anywhere from like $20 to $120.

In most cases OTA signal is better than that of what you get from Cable or Satellite companies because they have bandwidth restraints and they compress their signals... most OTA signals are hardly compressed (usually only enough to encode their own local affilliate comercials)

Alvarez said:
In most cases OTA signal is better than that of what you get from Cable or Satellite companies because they have bandwidth restraints and they compress their signals...
this is what i've heard to be the case

I have a HDTV tuner in my TV. I use a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna and it works great for such a small antenna.

Back