another laptop thread.

RC

Veteran XX
cuz i dont know what i want :(

-Im looking for something with bluetooth/wireless capabilities.
-Something I can edit on music/video.
-Maybe even do some gaming on it.

an athlon 64 laptop seems good, right? how is the battery life on them?
However they have 64-m.. what's the difference?
or a P4, or P4-M..whats the diff?
I dont think i'd go centrino.. they seem weak for what I'd want to do.
then again, theres the ibook g4's which I really like.. but, i do filesharing.. what apps are out there for apple filesharing?

i was never an intel fan, but i really like the centrino books.
my dad and sister both bought 600m's (well dad got d600, almost same thing) with the pentium m and intel wireless ... aka centrino.

really fast, esp. once you get the dell crap off there. not sure about playing the latest 3d games on them. i think they have a radeon 9200 with 32 meg (or 64 if you upgrade).

it's a good size too. not sure about bluetooth as i have never gotten into that topic of technology...

RC said:
arent centrino cpu's just powered down p4's so they last longer on battery?
No, they're not.

The "Centrino CPU" is a Pentium-M and it was designed from the ground up to provide the most speed with minimum power consumption. It is NOT a modified P-4. That was the P4-M.

Centrino describes the COMBINATION of a Pentium-M processor and an intel wireless g adaptor. There are Pentium-M laptops that are NOT Centrino laptops.

in other words, Centrino kills Pentium-M.?

im thinking AMD 64, after going to Fry's today.. the iBooks were nice but no ultrabrite screen.. i'd be nice if AppleWorks was on it... and i dont see any good filesharing progs out there for it.

RC said:
in other words, Centrino kills Pentium-M.?

im thinking AMD 64, after going to Fry's today.. the iBooks were nice but no ultrabrite screen.. i'd be nice if AppleWorks was on it... and i dont see any good filesharing progs out there for it.

Um.. no. "Centrino" means it's got a Pentium-M processor in it.

"Centrino" is purely a marketing term which means the laptop contains a combination of a Pentium-M processor, Intel wireless card and intel chipset. If a laptop has those things, the manufacturer can stick a 'centrino' tag on it. You can have a "better" laptop, but if you've got some other brand of wireless card in it (anything from some generic no-name POS up to something like a Cisco one), then you can't call it a Centrino. Pentium-M is essentily a very heavily modified Pentium 3. Very well suited to mobiles in that it dosen't consume too much power and runs pretty cool. P4-M chews up more power, runs hotter, but runs faster.

AMD64.. I'd be pretty careful. As much as I like the processor, I really don't know how well suited it is to a laptop. If you're buying something purely as a desktop replacement, that's going to be on mains all the time and can happily get very hot, then it's feasible.

Common sense will tell you that the faster/more powerful the laptop is, the lower the battery life, and the battery size and overall weight of the laptop increases dramatically.

DV editing would be pretty painful on a laptop. You could go out and buy a desktop replacement type laptop (with a desktop pentium 4 and a 7200 rpm hard drive) but then you're going to have very very little battery duration, and a LOT of heat.

Personally, I have a Dell Latitude D600. Great little laptop, does everything I want it to do (watch dvds, program, email, browsing, and stuff like that.) It can do less intensive games, but that was neither a requirement when I bought it nor what the machine was designed for.

As has been said, pentium-m and p4-m is an apples to oranges comparison. I forget the source, but I do recall seeing a 1.6GHz pentium-m outperforming a 2.6GHz p4-m in several tests, but ymmv. Some processors are better suited to certain tasks.

yea.. im starting to think dv editing is sort of pointless.. i might aswell just wait till i get home to edit.

ill lower the standard. because i want more mobility..
less intensive games.
wireless capabilities.
graphic work
music/dvd
"music creation" stuff..

i think a p4-m, p-m would do the job in those cases..

I got a compaq 3240us ... its athlon 3200+ (clawhammer), its alright.. it runs dynamic speeds, so goes from 800mhz to 2ghz when needed, but the switching seems to lag it, so I just got speedswitch and it will let it run 2ghz all day. comes with a gf440 which is pretty crappy, but thats not what i got it for, they have options to add bluetooth, I get a little over 2hrs battery time when playing movies

I'm buying a 12" iBook thrusday :bigthumb: pretty much every file sharing network has a OSX client. The battery life is GREAT

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

as long as you dont plan on gaming, which i doubt you would much since it isa laptop and most laptops video cards suck ass if you dont drop some big money. The iBook looks like a good route

Back