I want to live in Okinawa and live to be over 100.

Ben Reed

Veteran X
No, seriously. What's not to like?

I could go to Okinawa and work hard farming and fishing for my own sustainence, developing a healthy tan, learning karate, maybe learn to play the shamisen or whatever the hell kinda stringy plucky instruments they play over there, and die decades after most of you people have heart attacks or get cancer or some shit, surrounded by an army of friends and a gargantuan family.

Or I could always stay here and work like a dog well into retirement age, cheating death on the freeway and dying under the soulless glare of hospital flourescent lights rather than the warm glow of the sun.

you dont have to live in okinawa really, just change your diet to one based on fish and rice and drinking green tea

karatekid.jpg

MeSlayer said:
its better to burn out than to fade away ben

No it's not, burning out hurts like a BITCH.

Besides which, I hate fire.

My youth tells me to burn out because I have something to prove, but my mind, who has never yet steered me wrong, tells me that I have nothing to offer the world that they haven't seen already.

I've spent too much of my life indoors as-is, I want to live the rest of my life with my lungs full of fresh air and my face full of warm sun and ocean breeze.

NaciMur said:
you dont have to live in okinawa really, just change your diet to one based on fish and rice and drinking green tea

Yeah, but I'd like to live in Okinawa, because at the moment it's nowhere near as covered in sprawling civilization as Florida. It wouldn't bee too much of a climate change for me, either...I'd just be trading hurricanes for typhoons with far less idiot locals driving. (People make a big deal about tourists driving, but you only really have to worry about them near the theme parks...it's the retarded locals that'll kill you in the long run.)

Um, most parts of Okinawa are crowded as fuck. Oh, and Okinawa has one of the highest car accident rates in the world (by far the highest in Japan).

I've lived there for 6 years and isn't the primitivist utopia that you're making it out to be.

Last edited:
GammA said:
Oh, you mean you arn't immortal? :(

I certainly ain't gonna be if I spend the rest of my life in the heart of American civilization, that's for sure.

It's nice to think about working kinda in the boonies as a park ranger or something here in FL, but development here is soaring so much that you have to commute through miles of sprawl in order to go to work at what few patches of wilderness we have left. Anyplace quiet that you plan on living will probably be swarming with subdivisions full of soccer moms and amiable but loud Puerto Ricans within half a decade.

-§trife- said:
Um, most parts of Okinawa are crowded as fuck. Oh, and Okinawa has one of the highest car accident rates in the world (by far the highest in Japan).

I've lived their for 6 years and isn't the primitivist utopia that you're making it out to be.
just cuz you live there doesn't mean you know more than ben reed dumbass.

-§trife- said:

I've lived their for 6 years and isn't the primitivist utopia that you're making it out to be.

I'm very aware of that. I know that growth around the air bases and stuff has skyrocketed in recent years.

I don't want to live close to the cities by any stretch...I want to go WAY the fuck out into the boonies, where shit like running water and electricity are luxuries on par with the guy who hands you towels in a ritzy hotel men's room or some shit.

I would probably prefer some idyllic hermitage closer to home, but the ironic thing is that if I wanted anything nice and exotic Asian foodstuff-wise to eat, I'd probably have to drive into town to get it. Now, in Okinawa, on the other hand, if I want something exotic, all I have to do is go out to the fields and dig it up, or go out to the bay and fish it out.

I thought American fast food chains ruined the healthy eating of Okinawan's?

Anyway, why would you wanna be 100, like 20 years of that you won't even be able to dress yourself or wipe your own ass.

Ben Reed said:
I'm very aware of that. I know that growth around the air bases and stuff has skyrocketed in recent years. I don't want to live close to the cities by any stretch...I want to go WAY the fuck out into the boonies, where shit like running water and electricity are luxuries on par with the guy who hands you towels in a ritzy hotel men's room or some shit.

I would probably prefer some idyllic hermitage closer to home, but the ironic thing is that if I wanted anything nice and exotic Asian foodstuff-wise to eat, I'd probably have to drive into town to get it.

Those places barely exist any more. Most everyone who lives in the few remaining small villages commutes to a larger town for work.

Way out in the boonies barely exists as the farthest point from any location on the island is less than 70 miles.

But then again, that's the bitter irony of living in the heart of human civilization -- it's a lot harder to abandon civilization than it looks, even if you really want to do it.

The world's surface is covered with human civilization, making picking a good, resource-rich spot to avoid it a lot of work to find. You also have to train yourself as to the essentials for life, what you need to account for in order to survive, all the while being careful to avoid infringing on what is claimed by civilization.

It's also far easier to pick a spot to live in complete isolation than it is to try and enter a pre-existing community in the boonies. You have to earn the local's trust, and you may even have to learn a whole new language.

And even if you do manage to find a nice, quiet spot to live, there's always the risk that it'll be bought and developed much like the rest of the world.

I don't want something exactly like what I described, of course. It doesn't have to be Okinawa. But I figure if I do one difficult thing in my life that requires sacrifice, I wanna do something that counts and find a place to live that guarantees me a life of hard, earthbound work, good company, healthy food and lifestyle, and a long, stress-free life.

Living in such a way has its own challenges, of course, that much I'm perfectly willing to accept. Nonetheless, I genuinely think I'd prefer the risk of gruesome death in the great outdoors rather than the risk of gruesome death flattened by a drunk driver at the street corner walking home from the 7-11.

Back