wtf did prices on dell computers drop again?

iNVAR

Computer Monkey
Veteran XX
or am i behind the times? i was pricing out a system for a friend by adding parts on newegg.

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3500A BK, OEM $76
Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM Drive Only $8.25
Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3160023AS, OEM $106
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM
$157
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail $164
ATI AIW RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, FM/TV/AV In/AV Out, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9600XT" w/ REMOTE -RETAIL $182
and an Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard $99

Total so far:
$792.25
and I'm still missing keyboard, mouse, case, power supply, and monitor.

Then I mosey on over to Dell and find this:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V590&l=en&oc=D84SO&s=dhs

Configure it to around the same thing (single dvd burner, floppy drive, X300 SE PCI express video card, logitech mouse, etc. etc.), and then toss in a nice flat panel, which is $379 extra, and the fucking thing comes out to $1348 only. So even if I knocked off the monitor completely (subtract $429) it would only be $919. I wouldn't be able to get that price for the whole system, AND I'm already going AMD.

What the hell, when did Dell get so fucking cheap!?? I mean yeah, granted, the vidcard I selected is an ATI AIW card that can capture video, but adding a separate card to do that shit isn't that much more...

They sell in volume, with proprietary parts.
Not easy to upgrade.
If you build it yourself, you'll have pride knowing you did it, and you can upgrade as you see fit. If it's just for your friend who won't tinker with it, then fine, get the Dell.
But it's the joke, of "Dude, you're getting a Dell." that makes everyone laugh. It's like admitting you can't build one yourself.

i actually sort of like the cases even though they weigh a ton. they keep the computer quiet. but that's about it.

i don't think my friend will really give a shit about shitty ram.

i suppose yeah, the list i have picked out is quality components and what not, but here's the deal... about 1 year back i built my friend a p4 system and when i configured a comparable one on dell, mine was STILL cheaper. that's what made it so sweet.

it's not like that anymore, wtf.

btw, nogodforme, i build all my own systems. i know what i'm doing. ;) but yeah, it's for a friend, so i might not bother.

The Mobos aren't that full featured (no temp????)

The ram depends on what model you get really

but the cases are beautiful. I don't know if you guys have opened one up lately but man... awesome.

I have an 8300 and I just added an HDD and it basically took the drive from my hands and installed itself.

Plus if you whore this site a bit http://www.slcentral.com/c/deals/ you can usually find a steal in there every couple of weeks.

I know it isn't the 1337 rigxor, but I paid so little, when it starts feeling slow i will just buy another.

(and I buiult my last computer last night so I am personally capable of building a computer)

iNVAR said:
btw, nogodforme, i build all my own systems. i know what i'm doing. ;) but yeah, it's for a friend, so i might not bother.
Right, if it's for a friend, then just let him order it and you stay out of the picture. The problem with helping friends, is that you become tech support for them. Then you get phone calls at work, asking how to fix something they fubared.
Computers are hard to fix over the phone, and it takes hours to trouble shoot.

I build my own too, and no longer help others. Mine have weird stuff now and then, so there is no way I help others. The only people I help are my parents. I wish computers were like cars, because then many of us would have jobs building them, but it's a pain in the arse. Here's my latest build.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MyBabyTera.htm

just buy all the parts listed there. and build your own. it will be better and might be cheaper.

Back