History Channel - Decisive Battles

Do they just do old battles or are they able to throw planes and shit into the engine?

COme to think of it, there must be some kind of mods for these games, if they made 3 of them they must be populaur.

I want planes in total war, lets see the Romans stop my f18s

I have heard nothing of this, sounds hella cool, I will try and keep an eye out for it.

What engine do they use (or did they make up one themselves?). I thought the total war mention was in jest, is it what they use?

MADness said:
I have heard nothing of this, sounds hella cool, I will try and keep an eye out for it.

What engine do they use (or did they make up one themselves?). I thought the total war mention was in jest, is it what they use?
ya, they use the rome total war engine

Have they covered any of Hannibal's battles?

Lake Trasimene would be awesome.

As would the Battle of Ticinus, the Battle of Trebia, and (obviously) the Battle of Cannae.

About Cannae:

So, at Cannae, Hannibal led an army of something in the region of 30,000 men, perhaps, against something in the region of 100,000 Romans, or ten legions and their support. There are many stories told about Cannae and it is even thought that Hannibal arranged matters so that the wind blew dust into the faces of the advancing Romans, to give himself every single advantage possible. What is certain is that during the night, Hannibal had planned the forthcoming battle down to the minutest detail, while the unsuspecting Romans could barely believe their luck...............

...........Again, comparisons in such a grim affair may be invidious, but the official American government figures for the initial death toll at Hiroshima was 65,000, although that figure varies greatly. Seen in this context, Hannibal's strategy at Cannae was more deadly than even a nuclear bomb; no military figure has ever exceeded the terrible toll he exacted from his enemy back in 216 BC.

A sort of fun sight about Hannibal's military genius that I just found via google:

http://phoenicia.org/hannibal.html

Fatimah said:
10 full strength Roman legions = 40-50,000 men, not 100,000.

For fuck's sake.

You know everything, don't you?

It must actually be physically painful to be so smart. How does your skull keep from exploding from the pressure of such a magnificent and powerful brain inside of it?

So, at Cannae, Hannibal led an army of something in the region of 30,000 men, perhaps, against something in the region of 100,000 Romans, or ten legions and their support.

This, BTW, was part of the original quote that I included. It was part of the same sentence, in fact.

Given the Romans' known propensity for frankly lying about figures, many of those who have studied Hannibal believe that it is entirely possible that somewhere in the region of 100,000 Romans died that day, certainly enough to earn the site of the engagement the notorious title of 'The Field of Blood'. Given the size of the Roman forces in the field and given the undeniably overwhelming victory that Hannibal won, a figure of 100,000 Roman dead is not out of the question. What can we compare this to?

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-cannae.html

It was to Aemilius [L. Aemilius Paullus, Consul for 216 B.C.] that all eyes turned, and on him the most confident hopes were fixed; for his life had been a noble one, and he was thought to have managed the recent Illyrian war with advantage to the state. The Senate determined to bring eight legions into the field, which had never been done at Rome before, each legion consisting of five thousand men besides allies. For the Romans, as I have state before, habitually enroll four legions per year, each consisting of about four thousand foot and two hundred horse; and when any unusual necessity arises, they raise the number of foot to five thousand and of the horse to three hundred. Of allies, the number in each legion is the same as that of the citizens, but of the horse three times as great. Of the four legions thus composed, they assign two to each of the Consuls for whatever service is going on. Most of their wars are decided by one Consul and two legions, with their quota of allies [thus two citizen legions and two allied legions combined]; and they rarely employ all four at one time and on one service. But on this occasion, so great was the alarm and terror of what would happen, they resolved to bring not only four but eight legions into the field [thus eight citizen legions and eight allied legions combined--about 90,000 men].

Source:

From: Polybius, The Histories of Polybius, 2 Vols., trans. Evelyn S. Shuckburgh (London: Macmillan, 1889), I. 264-275.

Scanned by: J. S. Arkenberg, Dept. of History, Cal. State Fullerton. Prof. Arkenberg has modernized the text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae

The consular forces at the battle amounted to 16 legions, 8 of them Roman plus an equal number of Latin allied legions, for a total of 80,000 men. Subtracting 10,000 for those left to guard the camp, the Romans brought to the field the following forces:

* 55,000 heavy infantry
* 8-9,000 light infantry
* 6,000 cavalry

Opposing them was a Carthaginian army made up of:

* 32,000 heavy infantry
* 8,000 light infantry
* 10,000 cavalry

These numbers are higher for the Carthaginians and lower for the Romans than most of the numbers that I have seen but they support the rough ballpark estimates given earlier.

MADness said:
For fuck's sake.

You know everything, don't you?

It must actually be physically painful to be so smart. How does your skull keep from exploding from the pressure of such a magnificent and powerful brain inside of it?

:rofl: Sean (Harlequin_Jester) was hogging my far superior computer and he always forgets he's posting as me. I don't really know shit about history - that's his thing. I'm responsible for the math and science in the house.

I apologize.

I was already annoyed about the Haufbrau house nitpicking the other day and this nitpicking sent me over the edge.

I guess that it shouldn't surprise me that a coordinator of HO would be a military expert. ;)

they do a lot of the roman battles, a lot of the battles with the huns, its pretty impressive.

I just wonder if all the formations in that time were as rank and file as they show it to be, i find it hard to believe that roman soldiers or huns for that matter made such clean formations when marching

Back