Drug tests for welfare?

KGB_ate_myBread

Veteran XX
Ok.. if my job requires me to take drug tests (no, I'm not employed.. but every damn place I look has drug tests), why can't the gov't do drug testing for welfare?

Ok, maybe the gov't can't control that for welfare. I guess it'd be similar to why they can't give universal health care (can't control an aspect of industry, can't control what people do in the free time.)

But ok, so let's just assume it'd be ruled unconstitutional, well, couldn't the Gov't give a slightly larger welfare check to everyone who passes the test? People who fail get regular amount.. drug free people get .. 20% more? Couldn't the gov't do that?

So many jobs require drug tests. If we gave welfare recipients drug tests.. they'd clean themselves up and make it even easier to get a job and get off welfare. So potentially in theory, this could work to lower the amount of people on welfare, lower unemployment, and be part of the war on drugs. I mean, granted, a ton of people would be pissed about this, but as long as there were no reprocussions for failing, and only benefits for passing, I think it could work out. Also, the tests could be done with total confidentiality, so that cops/gov't people wouldn't know specifically which individuals were on drugs.

wow

i really think that is a DAMN good idea. only downside is it would be outrageously expensive to pay for the testing

maybe like random drug testing for it

SexPistol said:
wow

i really think that is a DAMN good idea. only downside is it would be outrageously expensive to pay for the testing

maybe like random drug testing for it
Fuck that, take the drug test charge out of their welfare check.

I don't want my tax monies to be supporting junkies. It's one of the reasons why I've put a lot of thought into. This isn't an original idea wholly, it was something that a Governor had on his agenda a few years back here in Louisiana.

I think it could be adopted on the state level first and tested. There are many bases that need to be covered more. Some people feel that drug users actually getting into the work force might pick up old habbits once the money starts rolling in. Fine I say, as long as tax money isn't supporting them at that point, they can do whatever they want.

Drug testing for welfare people?

:lol:

95% of the people on it would no longer be apart of the program. :)

On a side note, 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot to support a viewpoint.

EDIT: I support this idea.

I think that drug test for welfare recipients is a good idea, assuming that there is affordable drug test available. For failing one, there should at least be a period of time during which you can't apply again. You would have people coming in everyday to see whether or not whatever detox shit they tried worked.

Well, the idea is to give benefits for people who pass, and have small, if no reprocussions for those who fail. That sounds like a BAD idea, but it really isn't. If you're on welfare, and you could net 1,000 - 1,500$ more a year for being drug free, not only do you get more money from the gov't, these people would be spending less on drugs themselves, and add even more to their actual income.

basic urine screen cost me 22 bucks. not that expensive, if the person who fails gets say 300 a month. 20 well spent, and lot of cash saved

True, a lot of people know ways around drug tests. Supposedly, there are better tests out there that are harder to pass. I think it could go like this, 10-20% more for passing, 10-12.5% less for failing.

Also, testing would have to be done at local welfare offices, where things could be monitored enough to stop easy methods of passing a drug test.

Are hair tests banned? I read that some places can't do hair tests anymore due to the fact that your hair can pick up particles in the air, which could cause you to fail a drug test.

Does anyone know? I don't feel like searching myself if someone knows offhand.

Another idea would be getting clean welfare recipients jobs at the welfare centers themselves, to administer/help with the testing/work that goes on there. Granted, you'd have to cover any loop holes that'd allow an employee to do paperwork that could alter whether or not someone passed one of the tests or not. This could help even more people get off welfare (but they'd be on Gov't payroll at that point, and have to be up to different standards).

I think if a contract is written up that allows no gov't intervention into the names of those who fail was done, it could pass as being constitutional.

KGB_ate_myBread said:
True, a lot of people know ways around drug tests. Supposedly, there are better tests out there that are harder to pass. I think it could go like this, 10-20% more for passing, 10-12.5% less for failing.

Also, testing would have to be done at local welfare offices, where things could be monitored enough to stop easy methods of passing a drug test.

Are hair tests banned? I read that some places can't do hair tests anymore due to the fact that your hair can pick up particles in the air, which could cause you to fail a drug test.

Does anyone know? I don't feel like searching myself if someone knows offhand.

I don't think that hair testing would be even remotely affordable in the quantity that would be required.

ah, ok. I don't know how much kits costs and so on. Are there other forms of drug testing that exists (other than something like blood analysis)?

Back