Does TW use a portal for its front page?

Karma Police

Veteran XV
Or is it all custom done?... kinda curious as i'm thinking of overhauling my site and like the general feel of the TW homepage...

I was wondering the same...only thing I could find that came close was vBadvanced CMPS, and thats far from TW home page.

yeah, i know they probably customize the heck out of it... i'm pretty sure it's not phpNuke tho... and was just curious to find out for sure from someone... no big deal i suppose... just like the look and feel of TW (it is afterall "home" :D)

Dumpy Dooby said:
More specifically, it's a custom portal, correct?
I'd ask Yogi, but as far as I know, its all custom... as in completely from scrach

Then again, wtf do I know anyway? :shrug:

Everything on TW, with the exception of the forum (which has plenty of modifications) is built from scratch.

The front page is coded modularly, or at least it was the last time I checked. I don't know if that means its a portal. Yogi did write it all from scratch.

Usually how a portal is referred now is when some kind of CMS like phpNuke is used.

phpNuke basically is like a website in a box, you just set it up and it allows you to easily dump in content without having to worry about the backend stuff.

the news on the front page appears to just be a special type of thread, which yogi then just takes the info from the database and shows it on the front page. The fact that the rest of the site works with vbulletin, means that it runs on a portal. I dont think people understadn the difference between webpage content and databases. All yogi is doing is using the vbulletin database for his own uses. Is that a custom website or a premade portal? well neither really.

The rest of the site does not run off of vBulletin, though we have a tendency to stash additional tables in its database. Posting news generates a vBull thread, but it is not the same record in the db. Take it from a guy who's had to edit both to fix a mistake.

cAn said:
well you still use the user tables for the restof the website.
Which makes the most sense. Easier to use 1 table than to make multiple user entries and have to keep both updated. TW does not use a pre-made portal system. Everything on the site except for the forums were coded by hand. Don't let Yogi see this thread, he'll be very upset that you even THOUGHT it was like phpNuke

Back