Have you ever lost a toenail/fingernail?

brakums

Contributor
Veteran X
Last week, I was doing construction work and I was prying up a subfloor board and as it came up it went into the air and landed on my toe (big toe/right foot). The next day, laying down more subfloor, ANOTHER piece landed on my toe. The same toe. Needless to say, it hurt.

Now this is not what I do for a living. It's just a source of income while in between jobs, so I'm not all TOO prepared. I SHOULD have been wearing steel-toed boots or something.

I've been keeping my eye on it, keeping it clean, changing the dressing, re-applying antibiotic and just tonight the nail was REALLY loose and came off. Oddly enough, it didn't hurt.

So I ask, have you ever lost a toenail/fingernail dur to something?

yes, i stubbed it repeatedly in my ski boot, it turned black, I was doing a martial arts test and it ripped up inbetween the mats, it fell off completley. Then it grew back and dug in hardcore to my skin, so I had to get it pulled out again by my dad whos a doctor.

Its good now.

toe1.jpg

toe2.jpg

toe3.jpg

toe4.jpg

toe5.jpg

toe6.jpg

toe7.jpg

toe8.jpg

i wish the later pics hadn't come out so damn blurry. its hard to tell on the lil LCD :(

Yes, I lost my big toe nail when I was 6 or 7 while playing at a play-ground barefoot.

Took me a few years to work up the will to go barefoot at the playground again, if I remember correctly.

Mafo said:
what did you pour on it?
antibacterial crap?
hydrogen peroxide, it fizzes up all groovy. that's why i took pics :)

btw, its so fucking weird when you don't have a nail. the skin underneath has never directly felt things before (obviously its always been through the nail), so the toe is super sensitive, especially to things like heatness and coldness.

few years ago had one that bruised/bled underneath the nail really bad, hurt for ages, and eventually the presure from using flippers bodyboarding caused the nail to fall of, pretty feral to watch someone do it, but didnt hurt one bit surprsingly.

oh btw brakums, it should grow back fine AFAIK, but if it does grow back poorly, like imbeds in the skin like mine was (from a football injury), make sure you see a podiatrist.

btw, my toenail is fully grown back in and just fine now

Finger nail in grade school. Smashed it, it turned black and fell off.

Doaln. WTF happened to your toe in the first place?

Yeah. I was in the weight room and I had just finished doing some bench press and I went to put one of the 45 lbs plates back on the rack and it slid down and sandwiched my thumb between it and another plate.

It turned blue under the nail and was throbbing so bad that I ended up taking a lighter and a needle, got the needle red hot and I poked a hole thru my nail to relieve the pressure. Instant relief.

The nail fell off about a week later.

Back