Att: Homeowners...got a question.

LostDuck

The Assman4
Veteran XV
Anyone add a 2nd story to their house (or any major addition)?

I'm just trying to get a guestimate as to how much something like that would cost. I don't really want to waste the time of a contractor if it would be ridiculously priced...

Need much more information. Any estimate given by someone outside your area will be a bit off. Labor and materials differ a bit location to location.

How big will the addition be? If it's second floor, remember you'll probably want to build a new roof, which is pricey on it's own. If it's first floor, you may want a basement, which is also somewhat pricey.

Honestly, I would draw up plans and get a few estimates, then ask on TW about them. But becareful, my dad was in the business for years, and he was forced out of it by undercutters who would do a shitty job to save money. Then down the line the homeowner would have to spend more money to fix the problems.

It's not worth it to save on construction if you'll need to make costly repairs two or three years down the line. Find someone with a good record, and check them out with the BBB.

What is the state of your top floor now? Is it an attic with star access and a low ceiling? Or is it just a crawl space with pull down ladder?

its not out of the question but its always more to go up rather than extend. They now build second story modulars to make things a little cheaper and alot faster. You will have to check in your area and see if its available.

My parents added a couple of rooms about 10 years ago. They had a carport that had a deck above it, and turned it into a new living room. For around 1200 sq. feet, it was over $90,000. They didn't have to have any foundation work done on that, either. One thing that may or may not have added significantly to the price is that they had to have an outside wall to the house removed.

Psychosis said:
second story? more than your house is worth most likely. How old / solid is the house now? location? lot? etc.

1985...it's a single story 1860sf / 3 bedroom.

The staircase will replace one of the bedrooms on the bottom floor. (Anything extra there will be walk-in closet for down stairs master bedroom).

Plan on adding 2 (maybe 3) rooms upstairs. Master bedroom upstairs with fireplace...nice big tub...stand up shower next to it...etc.

It definately wont be more then the house is worth. I live in San Diego...in fact studies I have seen on the net actually say you could increase the houses worth more then you put into it. Of course...internet studies are worth the paper they are written on. :p

booty said:
What is the state of your top floor now? Is it an attic with star access and a low ceiling? Or is it just a crawl space with pull down ladder?

It does have a pull down ladder...but to call it a 'crawl space' does not do it justice...hehe. The attic area is huge (even though technically we are not supposed to store stuff there we do.) Throughout the whole home you can walk around freely and reach up and still not touch the roof.

Even though I have land to build sideways...it wouldn't look right in the neighborhood if I went 'forward' towards the street.

Here is the only pic I could find that sorta shows the house.

mybaby2.jpg

thats bullshit they give you a big ass recycle can, and a tiny little trash can. Fucking Cal is so fucked up

ReCurve said:
thats bullshit they give you a big ass recycle can, and a tiny little trash can. Fucking Cal is so fucked up

lol...you choose the size of those. I chose a big ass recycler so we don't have to put it out every week. Well...so I don't have to put it out every week. :p

WarAngel said:
worse picture EVER

ps: You don't know that is a car and not a house, right?

:lol:

I told you it was the only pic I see here on my work computer. :p

Here is another pick during the San Diego fires last year...except my house isn't even in the pic. I'm across the street from my house.

sdfire1.jpg

typical cost of new home construction is $100 (higher end home, in my area) and i would budget 15% for renovation work
you are going to need to contact your municipality and check if they would allow the addition as well. zoning bylaws and setback (from property line) ciuld also restrict anything you are planning.

And don't feel bad about wasting a contractors time.

bonepuppet said:
typical cost of new home construction is $100 (higher end home, in my area) and i would budget 15% for renovation work
you are going to need to contact your municipality and check if they would allow the addition as well. zoning bylaws and setback (from property line) ciuld also restrict anything you are planning.

And don't feel bad about wasting a contractors time.

Yeah. In regards to zoning laws...I would think it would be no problem adding a 2nd story since about 3/4 of the homes within 200 yards of me have 2nd stories.

The house is far from the setback. I think it's 3 feet from the street side of the house. I can park almost 2 cars from my garage to the street. Plus as I said I am just considering going 'up' not expanding the ground level.

What do you mean by 15% for renovation work?

Back