This is what happens when the University is stupid!

Thaumaturge

Veteran X
http://infotech.wsu.edu/itroot/Services/NetStatus/Networkstatus.asp

Real smart. Have every new student register for classes on the same day, at the same time and totally fuck the info network. At this rate its going to take me all day just to fucking get through and get things done.

Why they don't split the incoming classes into groups and run registration over a few days I don't know.

This is what happens when every free computer is trying to access the same server on a college network.

if they split it up, people scream about it being unfair when their classes are full before their registration time comes

At least they didn't have registrations start the same day that they "upgraded" (down for 3 days) the registration program like they did at my retarded school.

my university does it by seniority. the more hours you have, the sooner you register.

Michigan State does it by seniority and staggers it randomly. Its also done entirely on telnet.

With 50,000 students, we have to do some things differently then smaller, less important colleges like Washington State.

Our University has a time ticket system - Honour role students go first, then 4th years, then 3rd, and so on.

However, each ticket gets only a finite number of spots in each class (if there is a 100 person Comp class, each ticket type gets 25 seats). Once the ticket reserve is full, you have to apply through the department - this makes sure everyone has a chance for a given class.

I hate how they randomly give you fucking retarded classes too.. I'm a CS major.. they give me a "music listening" class... just creating more work for me to get the shit changed the day I get there

Register when you are accepted is my colleges policy. Works really well, and makes people sign up for the college early.

Ohio State has it staggered based on gpa and rank

and it still crashes for half days at least twice a year

at my college we had all people under two quarters register at specific times on specific dates.

everyone else had from middle of the quarter to the end of the quarter to register for the next. basically none of the high level classes were ever completely filled. only the <2 quarters classes.

*edit* did you throw dali in your sig bodom?

Yeah Iowa does it by seniority, and incoming freshman have it split up over the course of 7 weeks (they do it at orientation). They reserve spots for each class for everyweek (they say) to make it a little more fair.

At my school you don't register for classes until school starts. Actually, registration opens about a month before classes start, but freshmen can't register until they've met with their Academic Advisor (which is scheduled for Orientation). Still, most people don't actually register on Axess until near the 3-week-in deadline. There's rarely a case of overfilling, but if there is, the teacher decides of his own accord, which is usually by seniority and has nothing to do with Axess-registration time. There are a few classes (freshman/sophomore seminars) that are pretty much guaranteed to way over-fill, but those have special applications.

Last edited:
What happens here is all the new freshmen (Who have to live on campus! Thank goodness I'm not in that boat) have to atten Live! Orientation. Basically, Tuesday morning (today) they sit every fucking one down in front of a computer in the assorted labs on campus and turn them loose all at once, right at 6 when things go active.

Fucking retarded. Only an idiot would have every new student try and registar at once. Its practically a condonded DDoS! And they wonder why the Infonet server goes down every August.

Back