Calling Interweb smurt people: Why does comcast tell me this?

haniblecter

Veteran XX
Comcast is the only High speed service provider for much of Michigan. Thier service is normally pretty stellar, but has some weird habits that I'd like explained:

Although this problem is rarer at home than up here in Lansing, I've found that my connection can slow to a crawl at times. I use the same Linksys wireless system here, as back at home, yet it isnt the problem (computer with direct line from the modem is affected too).

When I talk to Comcast, they tell me to unplug all the lines going to/from the modem (coaxial, cat5, power), and wait 4-5min. They say that my modem has picked up a "bad signal" and by performing this ritual I can cure it of said "bad signal'.

wtf is a bad signal and how do I pick one up? I know its something they tell most retards to shut them up, but I'd like to know whats really going on...like, do they switch to phonelies to certain areas that have fallen below a certain bandwith need?

idk, asking for some answers.

http://192.168.100.1 and check the logs if you have a MoToRoLa surfboard that's the congif page - good info thurrr
Don't get all technical - tell them "INTERNETS BROKE" and ask for a credit until they get sick of sending people out

the old unplug the modem for 5 minutes routine. I love it when they say that. the only benefit that really provides is it downloads the latest patch maybe when you reconnect you have a 50/50 chance of connecting to a better circuit at their end so they don't need to fix their faulty shit quite yet.

I always make them unprovision me then reprovision me, that usually clears up the bugs they caused when they fucked with the local node. They have gotten better though.

A couple causes are noise in the line and a weaker signal than normal. What I suggest is calling them up and asking for a line tech to come out. I've gotten lucky and had the guy come out when the connection was down. He ended up changing all the connectors, and I"ve had flawless connection since. If that doesn't fix it for you, they can then replace the line from the pole to the house, and maybe even lines in the house.

Do you notice when the connection gets slow that that lower channels on your tv are fuzzy? ie 3, 4, 5, 6 etc use the same signal as the internet, so when one is slow, the other is fuzzy usually. This is a sign of either noise in the line, bad signal quality, or something with the connections.

ThrillKillKulT said:
the old unplug the modem for 5 minutes routine. I love it when they say that. the only benefit that really provides is it downloads the latest patch maybe when you reconnect you have a 50/50 chance of connecting to a better circuit at their end so they don't need to fix their faulty shit quite yet.

I always make them unprovision me then reprovision me, that usually clears up the bugs they caused when they fucked with the local node. They have gotten better though.

Understand most of that Thrill, but what does provisioning mean? Sounds sexxy, I should drop that knowledge bomb on the person who answers their phones, maybe he'll panic and send someone with a plumbers crack.

Tatiyana said:
A couple causes are noise in the line and a weaker signal than normal. What I suggest is calling them up and asking for a line tech to come out. I've gotten lucky and had the guy come out when the connection was down. He ended up changing all the connectors, and I"ve had flawless connection since. If that doesn't fix it for you, they can then replace the line from the pole to the house, and maybe even lines in the house.

Do you notice when the connection gets slow that that lower channels on your tv are fuzzy? ie 3, 4, 5, 6 etc use the same signal as the internet, so when one is slow, the other is fuzzy usually. This is a sign of either noise in the line, bad signal quality, or something with the connections.

Keen shit, I've read that on highspeed...something or another. A cool website that offers speed tests and computer optimizing proggies for your connection.

Although this unfortunantly isnt the problem. Seems to be something center side....also, comcast is right across a field from me...not even 1200 feet away.

Back