t-313794 [News] Spiderman Nanotechnology!!!! [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

[News] Spiderman Nanotechnology!!!!

Beef Welington
08-15-2004, 11:55 AM
I tried searching for a few key words, but didnt find a thread title that caught my eye, so if OFN, im sorry. But this is pretty damn cool:

G4 website article (http://www.g4techtv.com/techtvvault/features/39696/Sticky_Lesson_From_Geckos .html)

Sticky Lesson From Geckos
written by Lindsay Martell, Tech Live on Monday, August 26, 2002

Watching speedy feet of the lizard helps researchers discover a new way to make things stick.

Think scaling walls with ease is just the stuff of comic book heroes? Think again. Tonight's "Tech Live" shows you how researchers have taken cues from the animal kingdom to develop what could be the next Velcro.

Geckos, fast-moving lizards that can crawl along any surface, gave researchers in the biology labs at University of California at Berkeley and Lewis & Clark College clues on how the creatures move. And how they stick.

"We started to study them running on a level, running up a hill, and when they ran uphill so beautifully, we said, 'We have to study their feet and their toes to see how they do it," said Robert Full, professor of integrative biology in the lab on the UC Berkeley campus.

"We have solved the puzzle of how geckos use millions of tiny foot hairs to adhere to even molecularly smooth surfaces such as polished glass," Kellar Autumn, assistant professor of biology at Lewis & Clark in Portland said in a written statement. "Our new data prove once and for all how geckos stick."

Sticky split ends

The hairs on a gecko's toe are split, and these split ends are nano-sized. The tips -- spatulae -- interact with the surface molecularly, as opposed to sticking via adhesive or suction.

Autumn led a team of researchers, including Full, to create tiny artificial "toe pads" that mimic the hairs on a gecko's toes.

The team took a single gecko toe hair, called a setae, placed it on a surface, and pulled. A special sensor measured strength so impressive it was almost unimaginable, Full said.

"A patch of these hairs," he said, "could generate enough force to hold a small child, like 40 pounds."

This provides a path to developing the first self-cleaning dry adhesive. "Basically Velcro without the other side," Full said.

Putting it to use

The researchers say their next step is the manufacturing phase.

"We need to go from the individual bumps at the end of the hairs to making large arrays of those. We need to build millions of the hairs simultaneously so that we can get something that sticks as well as a gecko foot does," said UC Berkeley engineer Ron Fearing, who made the synthetic bumps.

The applications of the gecko adhesive are about five years away, according to researchers.

"We realize now that not only are we going to be able to make something that you can put on a robot to allow it to go anywhere -- let's say for search-and-rescue, for space exploration. But also you'll be able to make patches of this to be used as a general adhesive," Full said.

Fearing agrees, saying in five years, it may be possible to make a robot with legs that can move on any surface. No surface will be an obstacle and the robot will have the ability to run anywhere, much like the gecko can.

Although the practical applications would be for use on bandages, sports equipment, and clothing, the dream use may be scaling walls like Spider-Man.

But Full sees that as more improbable than impossible. "It's still going to be difficult to make someone easily climb up surfaces like Spider-Man," he said. "You still have to have a relatively large area to do this and you have to be pretty strong, but it's not out of the realm of possibility."

edit: fine, ill make cliffs:

-geckos stick to stuff because the tiny hairs on their feet actually create molecular bonds with the surface
-some scientists pulled off 1 hair, and found it to be an immensely strong bond
-a tiny patch could hold a small, 40 pound child
-applications are 5 years away
-its basically velcro, but you dont need the other side, it can stick to anything, and is immensely strong
-Spiderman?

BTW, its not mentioned in this article, but the one question, of if it sticks so well, how do you get it to un-stick, is solved by the fact that if you pull it at the right angle, it separates.

ZurN
08-15-2004, 11:56 AM
that is too painful to read

edit: that is better, quote better than code....

shadowman
08-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Thats friggin awesome.

Daedalus
08-15-2004, 11:59 AM
its dated 2 years ago.

Beef Welington
08-15-2004, 12:02 PM
its dated 2 years ago.

Then we should be seeing this in only 3 years now :roller:

Dark|Dragon
08-15-2004, 12:03 PM
So three years until I can climb a building?

Pagy
08-15-2004, 12:04 PM
i remember my mother talking about this last summer

MY ****ING MOTHER

Pl@net X
08-15-2004, 12:09 PM
I thought this was going to be like jake 2.0

but it's still kinda cool

Beef Welington
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
As promised, I apologize for the OFN. But I certainly still don't see proof that this is OFN on T-Dub, and its still neat IMHO

tim
08-15-2004, 12:35 PM
excellent, that is neato

Golazo
08-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Berkeley, babyyy

Tribalbob
08-15-2004, 01:13 PM
I remember this before, and pretty sure it was on TW, but i don't remember the thread title so i can't ofn you officially.

Excel
08-15-2004, 01:39 PM
who the **** cares if it is ofn, this is some far-out ****.